RedFox99What is the appeal of Mighty?
Sonic Mania+ has brought Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel back into the limelight and even if it turns out to only be their last 5-seconds of fame in the long run, it's a welcome return and farewell in my books. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he sucks to play as in Mania or anything like that, this is mainly about the masses of people that love this character.

Even before Mania+, I've always seen so many people rally behind this character and I really just don't understand what's so good about him. In Knuckles Chaotix he's just a Sonic stand-in, with no defining characteristics right?

[Image: tumblr_m7s6rbFqC91rw70wfo1_500.png]

People give Shadow so much flack, but at least he has a personality and back-story to define him as a character.

What even is Mighty's personality?? Watching Mania Adventures I get the impression they were sort of struggling to find anything interesting to do with him purely because he has little to no interesting character traits. They did a great job with portraying Ray as a funny goofball kid, but I get none of that from Mighty.
I can see what you’re saying but I think his appeal is just that he is a character that hasn’t shown up for a long time while all of his buddies have in one point or another.
I think part of the appeal of Mighty is his strength which, yeah, is kinda like Knuckles too but also that since he doesn’t have much characterization that people can give him the personality they think he would act like and just let their brains fill in the blanks.
Well for me its simple, Mighty was a lost character who was forgotten about while Shadow had his name up in lights and fireworks all over.

So of course i like Mighty more, its nice to see a non hedgehog as a playable character again.

Bet you would like him more if he had a gun and a bike as that makes any character better right? Wink

But in all seriousness Mighty is pretty awesome for me, a pacifist who acts only when he needs to otherwise he just minds his own business.

Its a stark contrast to all the other over the top characters in the franchise and makes him stand out more than just a sprite edit, granted his character is basic but sometimes a little simplicity is welcome.

I mean he is not a speedster, he cant fly, he doesnt guard a flying island nor does he steal jewels or is armed to the teeth or from the future or has a over convoluted backstory.

Its refreshing to have a basic character who isnt annoying like Cream (though i blame my dislike for Cream on the Sonic X cartoon) or Big.
Mighty strikes me as Knuckles minus the gullible streak, and it feels like he and Ray have a similar partnership to Sonic and Tails. I don't really count him among my all time favourites but I can't help but like the guy anyway. Plus he was fun to play in Mania Plus.

Still, I'm not sure where you're finding all these Mighty fans. First I've heard of it being a thing.
(08-09-2018, 11:27 AM)Ludi Wrote: Mighty strikes me as Knuckles minus the gullible streak, and it feels like he and Ray have a similar partnership to Sonic and Tails. I don't really count him among my all time favourites but I can't help but like the guy anyway. Plus he was fun to play in Mania Plus.

Still, I'm not sure where you're finding all these Mighty fans. First I've heard of it being a thing.

Well I don’t know about there being tons of fans but people have been calling for him to be back since the Chaotix returned in Heroes. Like every game announcement at least a few people would ask for Mighty to be included. Possibly just a vocal minority.
I think it's the fact that he and Ray haven't been in a game for a very long time now. I don't mind him too much, however he's far from one of my favorites. Sure originally he was a Sonic clone, but Mania+ changed that. I see him as one of the easy game play routes, like how Tails is easy mode, Sonic is balanced, and Knuckles is hard mode in S3K.
(08-08-2018, 10:01 AM)Metallix Wrote: I think part of the appeal of Mighty is his strength which, yeah, is kinda like Knuckles too but also that since he doesn’t have much characterization that people can give him the personality they think he would act like and just let their brains fill in the blanks.

(08-11-2018, 02:40 PM)Ravenfreak Wrote: I think it's the fact that he and Ray haven't been in a game for a very long time now. I don't mind him too much, however he's far from one of my favorites. Sure originally he was a Sonic clone, but Mania+ changed that. I see him as one of the easy game play routes, like how Tails is easy mode, Sonic is balanced, and Knuckles is hard mode in S3K.

I guess this is probably the main reason for it but it doesn’t make me think he’s a good character, just a bit redundant.
(08-11-2018, 02:40 PM)Ravenfreak Wrote: I think it's the fact that he and Ray haven't been in a game for a very long time now.

Basically this. Mighty and Ray were fan favourites because they were only in the one game (2 in Mighty's case) so we never got to see much of them and as such they became a bit of a lost relic. Unless you read the Archie comics, in which case you were able to see their characters being fleshed out and expanded upon (I've hardly touched the Archie comics but from what I can gather both characters were pretty likeable in that universe).
Mighty became my favorite character ever since I played knuckles chaotix as a kid back in 1993 and when sega announced sonic heroes it looked like a great game to reintroduce Mighty but no only Charmy, Vector and Espio got reintroduced so it was kind of a wasted opportunity.

Mighty has a cool character design by having a hard shell on his head and back being a natural shield and I like the way his ears stick out sideways plus he's really strong as shown in Mania Adventures, his personality is in the instruction booklet of knuckles chaotix and yes it isn't much but at least it's something, and something is better then nothing.

There are a lot of Mighty fans out there and I know because I have talked to them back in 2002 when I use to have a MySpace account plus I do have a Tribute to Mighty video I made and to this day is still up on YouTube with tons of comments from people saying he needs to come back plus tons of Likes just because the video is about Mighty.

Recently someone saw my old Mighty video and commented on how happy that person was to see the character return.