Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MetallixSonic Advance > Sonic Mania?
During the development of Sonic Mania we heard the development crew saying that Sonic Mania was born as a chance to "see what Sonic would have looked like if they continued to do 2D on the Saturn" but I never really felt it was a good representation of this. Especially since they also stated that it started as them presenting new levels as a bonus for Sonic 2's iOS port which morphed into what we got as Sonic Mania. I don't really feel that Sonic Mania looks like what Sonic would have been if they did 2D Sonic on Saturn. I feel like it's more like a Sonic 4 on Genesis.

Imo Sonic Advance, is a better representation of the evolution of Sonic had they gone 2D with Saturn. It looks more modern but it keeps the feel of the originals(the first game). Who agrees?
[Image: sonichqsig.png]
[Image: SonicBlastUserbar3.png]
[Image: knuckes_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: espio_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: shadow_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png]

I do think Sonic Mania represents what a Sonic game would look like after Sonic 3 & Knuckles if it was released on the Mega Drive. I guess it even tells you that, if you have a physical version of Sonic Mania Plus where you can switch cover to a Mega Drive/Genesis cover.
No Mania is a better game still as it takes the source material and improves it without re inventing the wheel.
The Physics in the advance series feels off in my opinion, they are not bad games per se but I feel they may be a bit too "Modern" in their mechanics for my tastes.
Plus Mania was a fan made love letter to the classics, I really dont feel the love in the advance series
(03-18-2019, 04:53 PM)MadmanRB Wrote: No Mania is a better game still as it takes the source material and improves it without re inventing the wheel.
The Physics in the advance series feels off in my opinion, they are not bad games per se but I feel they may be a bit too "Modern" in their mechanics for my tastes.
Plus Mania was a fan made love letter to the classics, I really dont feel the love in the advance series

When I say Sonic Advance I mean the first one, not the series. The series is different because 2 & 3 go completely away from the original gameplay for a more sprint-styled gameplay.
[Image: sonichqsig.png]
[Image: SonicBlastUserbar3.png]
[Image: knuckes_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: espio_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: shadow_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png]

Even the first game is a little different than the classics, again the physics are close but I feel the GBA's hardware is a bit of a bottleneck here.
Its almost like the physics gap of classic Sonic in Sonic Generations, but a bar lower.
Not nearly as bad as classic sonic in Forces but when Mania is near on point with the classic games with its physics it sets the bar to another level.
For me its like comparing coke with sugar vs coke with splenda.
I actually like splenda, but there has always been something a little off with it... its not bad but I know what sugar tastes like too much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should there be a Sonic Adventure 3? Zamau 5 85 04-21-2019, 06:28 AM
Last Post: STP
  New Sonic 2 assets! Metallix 0 7 04-20-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Metallix
  Is Sonic Unleashed the last game with heart and soul? Metallix 2 45 04-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Last Post: DreamSaturn
Thumbs Up Team Sonic Racing |OT| Metallix 40 3,878 04-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Last Post: RedFox99
  Mario & Sonic At The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Kurisu The Wolf 2 170 04-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Dr. Eggman
  Sonic story suggestions Meowkie 1 65 04-03-2019, 08:00 AM
  Fans are working to revive Sonic Runners Metallix 3 101 03-29-2019, 11:20 AM
  Sonic Mania finaly got Denuvo DRM removed. Wingzzzzy 2 110 03-16-2019, 09:35 AM
  Played some Sonic games I haven't tried before Metallix 3 222 02-22-2019, 02:13 PM
  Sonic panel at SXSW 2019 announced! CrystalStorm51 3 226 02-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Lighthead