Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video Games Related Movies and TV shows
Soooo, this would be an interesting topic to bring up. And might as well talk about thoughts and such with both those that already came out and others that are in the process of.

As everyone knows, with a handful of popular video games series, from Mario, to the blue blur and so forth, did a movie or TV show and usually it is a hit or miss.

I notice there is more success to TV shows rather than movies. Mainly because, depending on the series they do, instead of forcing a large story in a limited 2 hour movie, they can present the story by episode.

Recently, they are two big ones that is currently in the works. One is a movie. The other is a Netflix series. As of right now, Scott Cawthon, creator of Five Nights at Freddy's is doing a movie with Blumhouse productions and still in the process until possibly 2019-2020. And the other one is the Witcher, which is going to be a new Netflix series that will relate more towards the book series than the video games. Though still share some elements from the video game series. 

So what are thoughts about video games being in movies and TV shows? And what do you think the outcome of the two projects mention above, if you are familiar with them?

Lets avoid arguements and keep responses tasteful as well!
I think for the most part they aren't good although I have enjoyed some that I know have gotten trashed critically.

I liked the first Resident Evil movie, I don't see why it got panned so hard. I liked the first Silent Hill movie, it really stuck to the core of the games and portrayed it well I think. It was kind of a mix between the story of 1 and 2. I also am a HUGE fan of Ratchet and Clank. I enjoyed the movie. I mean kids movies never really have stories to write about, they all just seem good for entertainment to me and that's how I felt about the Ratchet movie.

Very much looking forward to the Sly Cooper TV show. As far as The Witcher series, that would be pretty cool if they nail the lore of the games.
[Image: SonicBlastUserbar3.png]
[Image: knuckes_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: espio_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: shadow_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png]

I think video game movies and TV shows are possible to pull off well if they don't stray too far from the source material and the production quality is high, which sadly hasn't really happened as of yet from what I've seen.

As for one of the two projects you mentioned, I'm actually looking forward to the FNaF movie. It's going to be sticking to the first game, which is better than trying to throw in the lore of every game in the process. On the note of it being based on the first game, I would've preferred an adaption of The Silver Eyes (the first novel) instead, but I'll take what I can get!

I'm also in the same boat as Metallix for the Sly Cooper TV show. Hopefully it doesn't go quiet like the movie did!
Movies that get turned into video games and via games turned into movies always suck except for Aladdin and The Lion King on sega genesis, snes and game gear/master system, oh Jurassic Park on sega genesis was another good one too but that's it.
There's no wrong way to fantasize
With movies turn into video games usually aren't good either. Mostly because of bad controls and some of them don't come close to the movie's plot. So, you got a point that moives converting to video games usually are bad as well.

Again, to force fit a movie or game with limited time or space is hard to pull off.

The Loin King for SNES though, that game is tough since I could never pass the second level of that version lol But I did enjoy Aladdin for SNES.
General rule of thumb is that movies based on video games suck. I wouldn't even consider the Resident Evil movies to be video game movies because they have the most ham-fistedly tangential relation to the series. TV shows tend to fair a bit better; Castlevania is a good example of that. That being said, I don't have high hopes for the Witcher series now that Henry Cavill's been cast. I don't doubt his acting chops, but he really doesn't feel like a good fit to me.
Could anyone who had never seen stars possibly imagine what infinity is, when, most likely,
The very concept of infinity first appeared among humans inspired, once upon a time, by the nocturnal vault of the heavens?
(09-05-2018, 12:20 AM)Kitm Wrote: General rule of thumb is that movies based on video games suck. I wouldn't even consider the Resident Evil movies to be video game movies because they have the most ham-fistedly tangential relation to the series. TV shows tend to fair a bit better; Castlevania is a good example of that. That being said, I don't have high hopes for the Witcher series now that Henry Cavill's been cast. I don't doubt his acting chops, but he really doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

When they announced who is going to play Geralt is Henry Cavil, I was in the middle. I wasn't so sure of him being a perfect fit in the role, however seeing that he does know both the books and video game series, all hope isn't lost just yet. If anything, it can be a benefit as it can help him stay in character on his role. So I want to wait to see who else is going to cast the other main characters, like Ciri, Yennifer, etc. We will have to see what happen since the show won't come out until possibly 2020.
(09-05-2018, 12:20 AM)Kitm Wrote: General rule of thumb is that movies based on video games suck. I wouldn't even consider the Resident Evil movies to be video game movies because they have the most ham-fistedly tangential relation to the series. TV shows tend to fair a bit better; Castlevania is a good example of that. That being said, I don't have high hopes for the Witcher series now that Henry Cavill's been cast. I don't doubt his acting chops, but he really doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

Yeah generally TV Shows fair better. I really liked the Earthworm Jim TV series as a kid. Although I liked the games better but they did a good job with the show imo.

Most movies based on games aren’t great but I enjoy a few despite the fact. Then there are the “so bad it’s good” movies like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. XD
[Image: SonicBlastUserbar3.png]
[Image: knuckes_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: espio_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png][Image: shadow_stamp_by_pfv0_stamp.png]

They're doing another serial adaptation of the Witcher? I've only heard of the earlier one (titled "The Hexer" iirc), and that was apparently a train wreck and a half.
(09-05-2018, 04:08 PM)Count Drakupo Wrote: They're doing another serial adaptation of the Witcher? I've only heard of the earlier one (titled "The Hexer" iirc), and that was apparently a train wreck and a half.

Isn't that a movie though? This time, it will be a TV series, which can have more success than squeezing the story to one or multiple movies at a time. And from the looks of things, they are doing this carefully and won't air until 2020. 

If you have Facebook, here is the page:
https://www.facebook.com/TheWitcherNetflixSeries/

I for now being cautious of not getting my hopes TOO high for it. But I am going to look carefully to the updates and hope it does turn out good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Upcoming Games of 2019 Zamau 7 122 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Last Post: SCS
  The Underrated Games Zamau 0 70 11-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Zamau
  Dreamcast games coming to Switch? The Everstone Eevee 1 127 11-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Zamau
  Do you sell old games or collect them? Sonicfan059 1 92 08-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Metallix