TwitterTwitterYouTube

Add Reply
Hello Sonic HQ my old friend...
Topic Started: Apr 10 2018, 04:27 AM (229 Views)
Delta Starfire
Member Avatar
Character Select
So, a long time ago, in the legendary city of Nottingham, there was a girl who liked Sonic. I mean, really liked Sonic. It was among her most favourite things. Ever since she first sat down and watched AoStH and later SatAM, she'd been a fan of the little blue hedgehog and his adventures. She got into the games on the MegaDrive and played them a lot. She drew Sonic fanart and even tried her hand at making a few comics. She read StC and was heartbroken when the publisher stopped printing new stories, but thanks to the internet, she'd learned of the American book published by Archie. She'd read that it was based more on the SatAM cartoon, which she loved, so she was very interested, and she went in search of it. For a little while, things were good again. She had fun Sonic games to play, a Sonic comic to read, and an online community called the Mobius Forum to meet and befriend other Sonic fans at. Sadly, at this time, the book was in a weird place. Doctor Eggman was a robot and Knuckles was green for some reason. The book didn't hold her interest for very long (plus, Forbidden Planet couldn't reliably get every issue for her, so she missed important stories). Eventually she gave up on it and, when Sonic X didn't live up to her hopes, she focussed instead on the games. Unfortunately, they started to lose her interest, too. She drifted away from Sonic and eventually from Sonic forums too.

The girl had started writing a Sonic fan comic by this point, but as her interest in Sonic waned, the comic strayed away from its roots. She gave Doctor Eggman a comic book death (i.e. one she could bring him back from, if she wanted to) and her original characters came to the fore. The stories became darker and grittier. Episodic fun and colourful adventures yielded to lengthy story arcs about political intrigue, conspiracy, and war. She was at university in Stirling by this point and affected by world events. She became more inspired by Star Wars and Star Trek than by Sonic. Years went by without her playing a new Sonic game and while Sonic and his friends were still in her comic, it had stopped being about them. She would always have a fondness for Sonic, but the girl wasn't sure she could call herself a Sonic fan anymore.

But then, in 2013, after reading through the entire run of the old Marvel UK Transformers comic (over 200 issues published between 1984 and 1992), the girl (really, we should say the woman, at this point), who now lived in Edinburgh, suddenly had a desire to read all of StC from beginning to end. She'd never done this before. Of course, she'd read the old stories when they were being reprinted in the latter days of the book, but never in the right order. As she read through StC, she found her love of the little blue hedgehog was rekindled. Those stories stirred feelings of joy and excitement in her that she hadn't felt towards Sonic for many years. After she'd finished, the woman realised that she had always been a lifelong Sonic fangirl and she thought to herself, "If I can read over 200 issues of Transformers and over 150 issues of StC, would it really hurt to give the Archie Sonic comic a try?" So she did. She read every issue from the original miniseries, through the main book, all the specials, the Knuckles spinoff, and Sonic Universe up to the present day -- by this time, spring of 2014. Having the actual context of the weirdness she'd encountered when she first tried reading this book helped her get through that period and she was glad she did. As she discovered, the book really picked up in 2006 after a new creative team came on board and the woman found herself enjoying the American Sonic comic a lot more than the British one in the end.

Circumstances forced the woman to stop reading comics altogether in 2015, which she regretted, especially when she learned last year that the books were cancelled. But she was delighted to hear that IDW would be publishing a new Sonic comic this year. While waiting for that, she re-read Archie's Sonic. She watched Sonic Boom. She played Sonic Mania. She was enjoying Sonic again. But her old internet haunts had gone -- died or become places she didn't feel welcome anymore. Then, one day she stumbled up a forum attached to Sonic HQ -- the first Sonic site she ever visited over half a lifetime ago -- and she checked to see if it was active. It was was. She joined.

And so here I am. I was active on the Mobius Forum between 2001 and 2005 and I returned a few years ago, but it seemed to be dying at that point. I've been sorely wanting to be part of a Sonic fan community like this again, so I hope to stick around and maybe rekindle some old friendships. For those who do not already know me, I used go by the username Eon Squirrel. But that was a long time ago and I'm a very different person now.
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

founder Fearless Echidna Posted Image
Member Avatar
Master Emerald Guardian
Hello and welcome! We have our ups and downs but still have a few loyal members here. Thanks for joining! We recently joined forces with Sonic HQ. This forum started as its own but I always wanted a proper website for it, hence the collaboration with SHQ.

I started this forum in 2006 with the goal of offering a Sonic forum that ACTUALLY had a Sonic theme and was designed well not using eye searing colors. Lol Hope you enjoy it, feel free to tell your friends. Lol

Also nice to see a long time fan!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online Mini Profile

Delta Starfire
Member Avatar
Character Select
Fearless Echidna
Apr 10 2018, 05:59 AM
Hello and welcome! We have our ups and downs but still have a few loyal members here. Thanks for joining! We recently joined forces with Sonic HQ. This forum started as its own but I always wanted a proper website for it, hence the collaboration with SHQ.

I started this forum in 2006 with the goal of offering a Sonic forum that ACTUALLY had a Sonic theme and was designed well not using eye searing colors. Lol Hope you enjoy it, feel free to tell your friends. Lol

Also nice to see a long time fan!
Either way, I'm just glad to find an active Sonic forum. So thanks for the welcome! :)
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Master Emerald Guardian
Youíre welcome! Have you gotten the new IDW comic?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Online Mini Profile

Delta Starfire
Member Avatar
Character Select
Fearless Echidna
Apr 10 2018, 08:23 AM
Youíre welcome! Have you gotten the new IDW comic?
I have! I enjoyed the first issue and I'm looking forward to reading issue #2 tomorrow. Have you read it?
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Master Emerald Guardian
I really want to but I havenít had the time to go to a comic store yet. Barnes and Noble sold the Archie omits but apparently not IDW. :( I started the Archie comics on issue 30 but fell off later on. Still have a bunch of old ones but missing many of my special editions. As a kid my favorite was Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Online Mini Profile

>>>NOW LOADING
Member Avatar
Hydrocity Act 1
Hello and welcome! Iím the resident Sonic 06 obsessed member. I think itís very flawed and not a good game but I love it regardless. Iím especially interested in itís develop behind the scenes.

Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

RedFox96
Member Avatar
Angel Island Act 2
Wow! What an introduction! Makes mine look lame. Haha

RedFox here, hope you enjoy your stay. Weíve got plenty of topics to discuss and themes to choose from! :)
Red Fox
Posted ImagePosted Image

Offline Mini Profile

Delta Starfire
Member Avatar
Character Select
Fearless Echidna
Apr 10 2018, 10:35 AM
I really want to but I havenít had the time to go to a comic store yet. Barnes and Noble sold the Archie omits but apparently not IDW. :( I started the Archie comics on issue 30 but fell off later on. Still have a bunch of old ones but missing many of my special editions. As a kid my favorite was Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles.
It's so hard for me to pick a favourite story arc, but I really enjoyed issues #175 and #176, when Doctor Eggman destroyed Knothole and Nicole built New Mobotropolis with the nanites, and #200, when Eggman finally lost his mind after so many defeats.

Also, I get my comics through Comixology myself, so I never have to worry about my local comics shops having them in stock. Also, it means I can get them on the same day they're released in America, whereas shops here tend to be a bit behind. Might be something to consider, although I do appreciate that a lot of people prefer to have physical copies.

Quote:

Wow! What an introduction! Makes mine look lame. Haha

RedFox here, hope you enjoy your stay. Weíve got plenty of topics to discuss and themes to choose from! :)

What can I say? I'm a writer. When my muse starts speaking to me, it's hard to stop. :p
Edited by Delta Starfire, Apr 10 2018, 04:08 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

renowned RabidChoco
Member Avatar
I used to have pity, now I don't have any
Well, welcome or welcome back, as the case may be.
Seeing your intro makes me wish my muse was even a quarter as potent as yours; then I could cobble together and maintain a half-decent roleplay or something.

Don't be a stranger!
Offline Mini Profile

Delta Starfire
Member Avatar
Character Select
RabidChoco
Apr 10 2018, 04:14 PM
Well, welcome or welcome back, as the case may be.
Seeing your intro makes me wish my muse was even a quarter as potent as yours; then I could cobble together and maintain a half-decent roleplay or something.

Don't be a stranger!
Thanks! I'll try not to be. :)
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

admin Cy-Fox Unit 01Posted Image
Member Avatar
"For the love of Nelson"
We're not dead, we're just sleeping. Well, some of us do.

In any event, welcome back to Sonic Blast. I'm Cy-Fox, one of the long running administrators here along with the rustbucket hedge-, I mean..Metallix. As a fellow writer, Trekkie and follower of Grand Admiral Thrawn, happy to see another number joins us.

So little bit of a capsule background, currently watching my hair grey working as a technical supervisor at a certain personal electronics/computer company that will go nameless, writing an alternate history/hard sci-fi/nautical style Sonic series and sometimes streaming World of Warships on YouTube Live and Twitch as Admiral Prower (not Mighty Jingles famous yet).
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · ★ Act 1 ϟ Member's Resort ★ · Next Topic »
Add Reply