TwitterTwitterYouTube

Add Reply
The Sonic Adventure Series
Topic Started: Apr 3 2018, 09:18 AM (483 Views)
renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were first released on the Sega Dreamcast. Many think this is the best the Sonic games are going to get, since they went 3D. New Sonic games get released, but still many say they are not as good as the Adventure games. I do like the Sonic Adventure games, although I do like the first one more than the second one. I don't hate the Adventure games, but I do think some of the newer games are better. Is the Sonic Adventure Series overrated?
Edited by Zamau, Apr 3 2018, 09:21 AM.
Offline Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 1
Zamau
Apr 3 2018, 09:18 AM
Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were first released on the Sega Dreamcast. Many think this is the best the Sonic games are going to get, since they went 3D. New Sonic games get released, but still many say they are not as good as the Adventure games. I do like the Sonic Adventure games, although I do like the first one more than the second one. I don't hate the Adventure games, but I do think some of the newer games are better. Is the Sonic Adventure Series overrated?
Both have pros and cons, neither game is perfect but both do have something about them that i do think a lot of modern 3D sonic games lack.

Here are the pros of SA1:

Fantastic level design (for the most part)
More versatile gameplay (for better or worse)
A better story (in a sense it as I feel its story is better than SA2)
Exploration

The cons:
Bad camera angles
Big the cats levels
Less refined controls
Countless glitches

Sa2 pros:
More refined controls
Better camera angles
Not as many glitches

Cons:
The shitty Rouge/ Knuckles levels! (Seriously what the hell!)
Terrible level design
Most of the game feels very "samey", team dark and lights levels are not nearly as diverse.

Somewhere between this is where the perfect 3D sonic game could have existed.
Edited by MadmanRB, Apr 3 2018, 04:23 PM.
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
I don't know why they had the same mission for hunting for the Master Emerald pieces in Sonic Adventure 2. They could have done other levels for Knuckles and Rouge. Also I thought the soundtrack in Sonic Adventure 1 was better.
Offline Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 1
Zamau
Apr 5 2018, 10:38 AM
I don't know why they had the same mission for hunting for the Master Emerald pieces in Sonic Adventure 2. They could have done other levels for Knuckles and Rouge. Also I thought the soundtrack in Sonic Adventure 1 was better.
Well the treasure hunting aspect isnt the issue, hell I say they should bering it back one day.
But only if they use the radar from Sonic adventure 1 and allow you to collect the emerald shards in whatever order you wish.
The system is just so broken in SA2, it is certainly better in SA1
Offline Mini Profile

renowned antisepticeye
Member Avatar
Laughter is the best medicine....for death
I dont really think they're overrated in my opinion. Sure they have their flaws, but what game doesn't? I think they're both amazing games in their own ways, and added a lot to the universe story and gameplay-wise. I find myself often going back and playing those games again. Whether it be for nostalgia or.. whatever, I still enjoy them a lot nonetheless.

They might seem "overrated" but.. I don't think they are.
Posted Image
i am the air in your lungs and the blood in your veins. i am all the voices you hear, and i will never go away.
credit to painofbeingafinnishfangirl on tumblr for the gif
Offline Mini Profile

founder Fearless Echidna Posted Image
Member Avatar
Master Emerald Guardian
antisepticeye
Apr 6 2018, 12:51 PM
I dont really think they're overrated in my opinion. Sure they have their flaws, but what game doesn't? I think they're both amazing games in their own ways, and added a lot to the universe story and gameplay-wise. I find myself often going back and playing those games again. Whether it be for nostalgia or.. whatever, I still enjoy them a lot nonetheless.

They might seem "overrated" but.. I don't think they are.
The most definitely are not. The reason why they are so praised is because they're pretty good and for the late 90s/early 2000s they were cutting edge and above what was out there at the time.

As for the Knuckles levels I actually liked them. I liked the SA1 version where you find the shards in whatever order you discover them in best but I liked the SA2 levels better because they were more wide open.

I want to see BluePoint do a remake ala their Shadow of the Colossus remake. Just a complete redo of the graphics but preserving the gameplay(with a few minor tweaks to fix broken things).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 1
Fearless Echidna
Apr 6 2018, 03:52 PM
As for the Knuckles levels I actually liked them. I liked the SA1 version where you find the shards in whatever order you discover them in best but I liked the SA2 levels better because they were more wide open.
Eh the wide open nature of them was a drawback in some cases, While aquatic mine, dry lagoon, egg quarters, security hall and the death chamber are pretty good, Pumpkin hill and Meteor Herd can be huge pains in the ass (Pumkin hill is actually a pretty awful level, especially when the emeralds can appear in the bloody death pit under the level, even the Awesome music cant save it).
But then comes Mad space...

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To put it kindly.... to hell with Mad Space.
Edited by MadmanRB, Apr 6 2018, 06:27 PM.
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
It might be good if the Sonic Adventure games were remade. One of the things I didn't like about Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 was the music during the cut scenes, it was sometimes louder than the characters talking.
Offline Mini Profile

founder Fearless Echidna Posted Image
Member Avatar
Master Emerald Guardian
Zamau
Apr 12 2018, 09:33 AM
It might be good if the Sonic Adventure games were remade. One of the things I didn't like about Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 was the music during the cut scenes, it was sometimes louder than the characters talking.
Ah yes, that was very common and the english dubs didn't sync with their lips which was also very annoying.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online Mini Profile

renowned KogaHarine
Member Avatar
Aegis Driver
Honestly I'd be for them making remasters of the those games. The graphics could definitely use an update and with the current climate of the industry, remakes and remasters are actually very viable and looked for right now. It would make sense to spruce up something they already have and maybe go back to learning about what made those games good in the first place.
Posted Image
~Super Mario Maker Profile~
Offline Mini Profile

renowned antisepticeye
Member Avatar
Laughter is the best medicine....for death
On the topic of remakes, I would be extremely happily if they made a remake of the adventure series and not just like.. an HD version. I think they could use a remake. Like the above user said, maybe it could make them go back to what made those games good in the first place.
Posted Image
i am the air in your lungs and the blood in your veins. i am all the voices you hear, and i will never go away.
credit to painofbeingafinnishfangirl on tumblr for the gif
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · ★ Act 1 ϟ Sonic Game Stadium ★ · Next Topic »
Add Reply