TwitterTwitterYouTube

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Sma5h); Discussion thread
Topic Started: Mar 9 2018, 10:06:53 AM (720 Views)
renowned ProtoBusterSword
Member Avatar
The Protorious Bustersword
Posted Image

(Old Starting Post, 3/8/18)
Ok, so....Who saw THIS coming at the end of the 3/8/18 Nintendo Direct?

I think I can say with confidence....NOBODY.

Well, unless You're a hacker and happened to just get a slight leak....However you managed to get it.

But it's true! Smash Bros! Inklings! Nintendo Switch! THIS. FRICKIN. YEAR. I'm hyped.

I managed to catch the tail end of that direct, and I thought it was going to be all about Splatoon (I saw the Octo Expansion DLC Trailer in all of it's flashy and, um...provocative glory) and I saw what appeared to be the first trailer for the first Splatoon. I thought "Aw yeah, Porting the first Splatoon to the Switch!" But then...I saw that symbol in the Inkgirl's eyes.....and then Mario and then BOTW Link hiding in that flaming smash logo....

And I had the widest grin I ever grinned.

To quote the great Reggie Fils-Aime, "My Body Is Ready."

Ok, so all of that stuff aside this thread is mainly to tell us here at =SHQB= what your predictions for characters, stages, assist trophies, what have you would be in this fifth installment of this series.

To break the ice, Who here HONESTLY thought that the Inklings from Splatoon would finally be given a spot on the roster?

My prediction is that an ARMS fighter (could be any of the main cast excluding DLC characters) would be on the roster. Maybe an assist trophy. One of those two.

I'm still a little stunned from this, so I'll stop here. Discuss away!

-Proto

(6/14/18 UPDATE)
Ok, I think it's safe to say that we've gotten more than we bargained for yesterday. Where do I begin?

-EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IS HERE! Every single character that was in Melee, Brawl and DLC in Smash 4 make a return, making this the BIGGEST crossover of universes ever (or at least, according to Sakurai.)

-Everybody's favorite controller makes a return! Gamecube controllers are going to be developed for this version.

-"Clone" characters (when I say "Clone," I actually mean characters that look the same-Pit and Dark Pit for example) are now known as "Echo Fighters." Speaking of "Echo Fighters," Everybody's favorite OTHER princess that likes to always introduce herself is finally in Smash!

-A bunch of other things that I think this video would do a better job of explaining!

So, any comments? Official release date is....December 7th, 2018! Just in time for the holidays!

(Will be making more changes to this thread as more info become available.)

(official site. )
Edited by ProtoBusterSword, Jun 14 2018, 11:55:36 AM.
Posted ImageNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5119-0018-3521

DDLC: Severance (Excerpts, just so I don't have to slog thru the Artist's Showcase Section to find it >_>)

Offline Mini Profile

admin Let's Go EeveePosted Image
Member Avatar
I think that after there appearence in Mario Kart, Everybody assumed the Inklings would be a certain for Smash.
Can't wait to see how they play, Wondering if they will leave Ink around the stage that they can travel and hide in.
Interesting that they went with Splatoon 1 style Inklings, So that means no Splatoon 2 weapons and possible a stage with Callie and Marie dacing and singing in the background.

BOTW Link raises too many questions, Many think he'll just be a costume change for standard Smash Link but that wouldn't work since BOTW Link has no Hookshot.
And what does that mean for the rest of the Zelda cast?
BOTW Zelda wouldn't have Shiek so thats an old character out, And Ganondorf never appeared in human form at all.
Course if they make a new moveset for Zelda it could be a good chance to bring Toon Zelda in with her old moveset and replace Shiek with Tetra, Since it would cut down on the clone characters.
Offline Mini Profile

renowned KogaHarine
Member Avatar
Aegis Driver
I definitely called it so your confidence is flawed lol. Honestly this was inevitable and it made way too much sense for them to start announcing it during this direct or face the multitudes of people who are calling for it on everything they put out. I had hoped for some Metroid Prime news but it would make more sense for something like that to appear at E3 and Pokemon was out of the question since they like to announce their games separate from the rest of the Nintendo lineup.

I honestly don't think they will get rid of any of the characters we have so far aside from maybe some of the non-Nintendo ones from Smash 4. It would make more sense to add in a seperate Link for BotW with a different moveset entirely (Up-B could easily have something to do with the paraglider and/or Revali's Gale and his Shield could be based off of Daruk's Protection for thematic purposes. Mipha's Grace and Urbosa's Fury might be a bit harder to implement unless they choose to make Urbosa's Fury the new Final Smash and leave Mipha's Grace out entirely since it only has healing purposes).
Posted Image
~Super Mario Maker Profile~
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Ok, I'll put in my speculations and hopes, not necessarily in that order.

I HOPE that Nintendo implements anything from ARMS. I would definitely love to play as either Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. Just think, their unique fighting style would fit Smash Bros. like a glove.

However....the other part of my mind says that ARMS fighters would possibly end up as Assist Trophies. it just makes too much sense.

BOTW Link....Like Koga says, he would have to be a separate character. The Link we know and love has an established moveset that hasn't changed from iteration to iteration, even when Young Link and Toon Link came in Melee and Brawl respectively. I can totally see BOTW Link as "Champion Link," Or "C.Link" if that is true.

DDLC: Severance (Excerpts, just so I don't have to slog thru the Artist's Showcase Section to find it >_>)

Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar

.... So people seemed happy with this annoucment.
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Dude, I IMMEDIATELY looked up "Super Smash Bros Switch Reactions" after the direct.....I was giggling at every one of 'em! And have I found a reaction mashup that is worth every giggle from me!

But yeah. Everybody is pleased with this. No doubt about that! This gives me something to work towards getting like I did with my Switch and first game (BOTW).
Edited by ProtoBusterSword, Mar 9 2018, 06:25:22 PM.

Offline Mini Profile

renowned toco
Member Avatar
A terrible mistake.
I think my favorite thing about this announcement isn't so much the fact that we're getting Smash 5 in and of itself but more the hilarity of things like this on Twitter from people who were so absolutely certain that this direct would bring no news on the subject,
[twitter=StitchSSB/status/971522972728016896]
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

renowned KogaHarine
Member Avatar
Aegis Driver
I talked to so many people who had that same sentiment thinking it was too early for it. But Smash fuels the hype train so it makes sense for them to put it in a Spring Direct even if it's just the announcement for it to keep up momentum for Switch sales. As soon as I saw they were doing a Direct earlier this week I immediately called that we'd get at least something for Smash and it's nice to see my speculation was correct.
Posted Image
~Super Mario Maker Profile~
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Funny that Koga mentioned the "Smash Hype Train," because It's about to board.

Edited by ProtoBusterSword, Mar 19 2018, 07:46:42 AM.

Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Sma5h is now up for pre-order, according to Amazon. Also, I'm not really sure that we'll have to wait until December 31, 2018 to play it. That's just absurd....but plausible.

Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
December 31st is a standard placeholder date for when they don't have an actual release date.
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Oh yeah! i knew that. Really, i did before you posted. i'm thinking of pre-ordering it by my next payday, just to avoid worrying about the eventual stock shortage.

Offline Mini Profile

Renegade Dusk
Member Avatar
=King of Inventors=
So while we wait for inevitable string of info reveal, what are some characters that you're all looking forward to in this game? Hard Mode: Pick only one 3rd party character.

As for me, I've thought about it and here's what I got so far:

-As far as Fire Emblem goes, I'd think the safest bet is whoever's the Lord of Switch Emblem. I hope that he's a Cavalry unit, mostly because I want to see how they pull of a horse rider character in Smash's gameplay. Personally, I'd like to see either Lyn or Ephraim, I feel like they'd be pretty distinctive with their overall look and playstyle. However, I think the former is more likely, even if the latter two scored highly in recent popularity polls. Additionally, I'd like to see Marth and Roy with their respective english voice actors from Heroes.

-Takamaru for the obligatory "Classic game character" pick. Never played his game, but I like the whole feudal Japan theme he and his series have. I imagine giving him a redesign (similar to what they did with Pit in Brawl) that incorporates a little bit of iaijutsu into his gameplay.

-For the obligatory Pokemon newcomer, I'd like to see Decidueye. Gameplay could have an emphasis on archery, making it a strong ranged attacker, but weak in melee combat. Alternitively, it'll just be a Gen 8 mon, but I think that depends on when are both games getting released and how cool is GF/TPCi with Smash having Gen 8 content if they're both gonna be released this year.

-It's been years since I played a DKC game but if we were to get any new characters from that series, I think I'd like Cranky Kong. Mostly because I think he'd be funnier than the other alternatives.

-I haven't played Xenoblade 2, but I saw this moveset concept for Rex and I think I'd be pretty interesting.

-As for my 3rd party pick, I have to go with Segata Sanshiro. He'd be hilarious and awesome, plus he's been in PXZ2 so he's technically a video game character.

-And finally, no cuts to the roster in the transition from Smash 4-> Smash Switch. Maybe add back the Ice Climbers now that the Switch can presumably handle them, but I never really cared about them one way or the other.

That's all I got so far. What do you guys think?

Offline Mini Profile

Track The Trainer
Member Avatar
I'll Train Eevee Hard!
Okay, Lets do this!

First pick goes to my fav monkey girl Dixie Kong.
She could be a smaller, lighter version of Donkey Kong since her pigtails act much in the way as Donkey's arms do such as helecopter spins and ground pounds.

Pokemon pick.
While I know who a certain fluffy someone would vote for I'd have a safer bet and say *Insert Spoiler here*
.... Oh right, It hasn't offcially been revealed yet so can't really talk about it.

Zelda pick.
While I know a lot of people would pick one of the guardians from BotW I'm gonna say another game in the series needs so rep (assuming Toon Link remains) and I'm going to go with Imp Midna, She has enough moves from Hyrule Warriors to call on and that large mask transformation could be her final smash.

3rd party, Well thats easy, Lots of people have been asking and I'm going to follow suit with Shantae.
Combiining her transformation powers and items she uses there is certainly enough material to make a decent moveset.
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Okay, one 3rd party character? Easy! Crash. Bandicoot. I think that since the N-Sane Trilogy is coming to Switch, it makes some kind of sense to me hat he'd be a guest character. He has the requirements for being in Smash. And plus, next to Goku from DBZ, I think he was joked about being in Smash, or so I hear.

Gonna fall back on my previous post on who I expect to be in there:
Quote:

Ok, I'll put in my speculations and hopes, not necessarily in that order.

I HOPE that Nintendo implements anything from ARMS. I would definitely love to play as either Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. Just think, their unique fighting style would fit Smash Bros. like a glove.

However....the other part of my mind says that ARMS fighters would possibly end up as Assist Trophies. it just makes too much sense.

BOTW Link....Like Koga says, he would have to be a separate character. The Link we know and love has an established moveset that hasn't changed from iteration to iteration, even when Young Link and Toon Link came in Melee and Brawl respectively. I can totally see BOTW Link as "Champion Link," Or "C.Link" if that is true.

Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · ★ Act 2 ϟ Video Game Academy ★ · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: