TwitterTwitterYouTube

Add Reply
Hi, everyone!; My introduction topic.
Topic Started: Feb 10 2018, 06:08:39 PM (318 Views)
SCS
Member Avatar
Angel Island Act 2
Hey there! I'm new to Sonic HQ / Sonic Blast. I've browsed this site as a guest for awhile, and I really love it. I do use and enjoy other Sonic fan sites as well, but I especially appreciate and value this one because it seems like by far the friendliest fan site / forum community I've found. I really love the design of this site: all the customizable themes, the colorful and creative backgrounds, icons, and just everything about the design is awesome. For example, I love that awesome banner for the Twin Slash theme with Sonic and Shadow, and I love the cute Chao icon on the New Topic button.

Although I'm new to this forum, I'm not new to internet communities. I joined a forum for the first time back in 2007 - I believe it was a fan site for the Advance Wars series, another beloved game series of mine although definitely nowhere near as special to me as the Sonic franchise. I've joined countless forums, moderated several, administrated one, and owned a few.

Over the years, I've sadly seen the decline of forum activity in general thanks to the rise of social media. I really hate many things about social media - but it can and definitely has been used for some good. I will never stop loving forums, though. In forums, and in all things, I couldn't care less about popularity or lack thereof. I would far rather participate in something high quality like this forum, even if it has less activity than various social media sites. This forum in particular also has most if not all of the great features I always love to see in forums and fan sites in general that are sadly lacking from many sites I see today, including a few other Sonic sites I frequent.

So in short - I really love this forum. I love what I've seen of the people here, I love the design of it, I love everything about it. I very much appreciate everything done here, whether it's by the owner, staff or users. I don't want to be disrespectful so I won't name any other sites by name, but I just want to say that this site is doing so many things extremely well, and way better than several other Sonic sites I frequent.

I've been a fan of Sonic for quite a long time, and by this point I've played most of the games from both the Classic and Modern eras. I don't have a preference for one era over the other - I love them both equally, in different ways. They are different experiences, and I enjoy both tremendously. Subsequently, I can't choose a single favorite Sonic game. I listed a few on my profile just for the sake of example, but in reality I love almost every Sonic game equally - just in different ways, as I have a similar mindset for the games themselves as I do for the different eras: they are different experiences. I just love Sonic and all of his friends, their world, their stories, everything about them. I love all the variety of different experiences we can joyfully partake in.

There are only 4 Sonic games I have any kind of serious problems with: Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 4: Episode I, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Forces. I don't hate these games, by any means, but they all are games I have serious issues with.

Shadow the Hedgehog completely butchers its depiction of Shadow's character. Shadow is not evil, and he is not some kind of super morally ambiguous character either. Sonic Adventure 2 did a great job of depicting Shadow at his early stages of character development, but in terms of who Shadow is now in his character development, I feel Sonic 06 depicted him near perfectly. He is strong and resilient, he has flaws, he's solemn and serious, but he is not evil, not easily fooled, and not morally ambiguous.

Sonic 4: Episode I should just not have been called Sonic 4 - it didn't do enough well to be a true sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Its content was not original enough and it had control issues.

Sonic Colors did not do a good job of depicting Sonic's or Tail's character well at all. The writing was poor. It just didn't have the tone, atmosphere or vibe I love from the characters and the stories in most Sonic games. I did love the music and the art, and most of the levels were fairly beefy and challenging, which I definitely appreciate. But I'm not a fan of the Wisps - it just doesn't fit Sonic's gameplay style in the way they implemented it here, and could sometimes even be grating to listen to like in the case of the sound effects for the Spike wisp.

Sonic Forces did a much better job at having a more serious story and using Sonic's precious friends, but the writing felt off. The story and characters did not give off the same kind of depth, naturalness and wonder that many previous Sonic games have, such as the Adventure series. Additionally, some of the dialog was just excessively dark. I did not at all appreciate the line about Sonic being tortured - I don't think that's appropriate for a Sonic game, I hate the idea of Sonic going through that, it's out of character for even Eggman to do something that horrible, and it just doesn't fit the tone of the Sonic series at all. I forgot the exact line, but I think Eggman also said something toward the end of the game about killing everyone, which is again out of character for him. I had no problem with the kind of evil displayed by more threatening villains throughout the series, such as Mephiles/Iblis from 06, or even Infinite from Forces, because that fits their character. It's just out of character for Eggman to suddenly be so actively violent. Yes, he wants to take over the world to create his dream - Eggmanland - and he most likely doesn't care if some individuals get hurt or killed in the process. But these ideas that Eggman would want to torture Sonic or just kill everyone on the planet for no reason, even if he doesn't get his Eggmanland... that's just overly dark and doesn't fit his character at all. I love Eggman, but I don't think he's by any means the most threatening villain Sonic has faced, and I don't think they should try to force him to be like that. Story/dialog issues aside, Forces was just way too easy, short and automated. The levels were extremely automated, often cancelling your boost and just moving your character around for you. They were also too short and, barring a few exceptions like the final level, the final boss and some of the Secret and Extra stages, they were way too easy. I do love boosting like in Unleashed and Generations, but I still want to be in control of my character and I want the levels to be long, beefy and challenging. Out of all the boost games on consoles, I feel like Unleashed was by far the best at having blistering speed combined with very long, epic, inspired, varied, difficult and beefy levels. All that being said, I still had a lot of fun with Sonic Forces - there are many things I do love about it, such as the music, the variety of characters, being able to play as more than just Sonic, and everything with the Custom characters.

While I love all of the Sonic games so much, I feel like Sonic Adventure: DX and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle should be considered the golden standard for a 3D Sonic game that does not use boosting, and I feel like Sonic Unleashed should be considered the golden standard for a 3D Sonic game that does use boosting. I love both the Adventure style of gameplay and the Unleashed style of gameplay. I love and enjoy many other styles of Sonic gameplay, such as in the Riders games, the Storybook games, the Advance series, the Rush series, and Lost World.

My ideal 3D Sonic game would be a true Sonic Adventure 3 that also implemented features from many newer games, such as boosting and parkour. If possible, I would love to see a new 3D Sonic game that has the epic, adventurous and wondrous scope and feel that the first two Adventure games had. I would love to have massive 3D levels with little or no 2D elements, that are able to be openly explored and interacted with just like you could in the Adventure series. I would love to have the Adventure spindash ability back. I would also love to see that combined with his more modern abilities, such as boosting (and all his associated moves from boost games) as well as his parkour abilities from Lost World. I would love to be able to play as many different characters who all have their own levels and gameplay styles, like in Adventure 2. I would love so much to have the precious Chao back and just have the most epic Chao system ever: more gardens, updated / more Chao mechanics and stats, more minigames to play with your Chao, more toys for them to play with, an even more awesome and expanded Chao Kindergarten, and more. I definitely understand that it might be difficult, or even potentially impossible to create a game that has such a varied and comprehensive set of movement abilities and level styles, so I'm mainly just speaking in the hypothetical.

To digress, aside from the Sonic games I also dearly love other related Sonic media, such as Sonic X and Sonic Boom. Sonic Boom is definitely not my favorite depiction of the Sonic characters, but I love it for what it is. I basically view it as its own entity instead of an extension of the game lore / universe (not including the Boom games, of course). I always have a lot of fun watching Boom episodes. But, I dearly love Sonic X. I could write a whole other topic about why I love that beautiful show, but here I'll just mention a few things by way of example. I feel like the depiction of Sonic's character in that show is one of the best depictions of his character ever, out of anything. I also feel like Sonic X did the best job of depicting interaction between Sonic and Amy. I am for sure a fan of the Sonic/Amy shipping pair, and while some games just kind of make fun of that or disregard that all together, Sonic X had many tender and kind moments between Sonic and Amy that I dearly love. The show's artwork is beautiful and some of the episodes honestly brought me to tears. The writers must have truly been very passionate to write so many beautiful and touching stories over the course of that show. I wish so much that they could continue the show and make a season 4 and beyond, as long as it stayed true to the same spirit of the first 3 seasons.

Aside from my love for the Sonic franchise, I have many other interests and hobbies. I love computer science and mathematics, as well as theology, philosophy, history, music, art, literature, and writing. In terms of more physical hobbies, I really love martial arts, working out at the gym (esp. weight-lifting), taking walks and just spending time in nature, especially by the ocean or any bodies of water. I love being out in rural areas, beaches and piers out over the ocean. I just love the smell of clean air, gentle breeze and the quiet tranquility of such places. I have fond memories of watching a thunderstorm out on a farm at night, and standing out over the ocean on a pier and just being amazed by how dark the distant horizon is at night - where there are no cars or city lights to pierce the night.

Right now I work full time as a Technical Support Supervisor for a large company. I'm in the process of working toward a more software engineering focused career, with a particular interest in the ethics of technology, as well as using computer security and cryptography for good.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction. I wish you all the best. Take care.
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

founder Metallix Posted Image
Member Avatar
Metallic Madness
Welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here! We've been around since 2006 so we've been around for a very long time. At one point we were the #1 active Sonic forum on all the web! :OMFG: But the rise of social media has really hurt forums. Back in the day, there was a Sonic forum being created all the time there were literally hundreds of them! We are one of the last remaining ones with a small amount of loyal members.

Thanks for the compliments on the design. I've worked on the main design a lot over the years. When Sonic Blast(now part of Sonic HQ) started I really wanted something that made it stand apart. Most fan forums just use the standard design or premade designs that really didn't have a Sonic look to them so I wanted to incorporate Sonic in the design as much as I possibly could. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears! :)

I've been a fan for many years as well, started since Sonic 2 so I have played pretty much all of them. I never had any problem with any and enjoyed even the ones that get trashed on all the time around the web but I am not blind I do see very flawed games in the bad ones. I guess the reason I still enjoy them is because even through the flaws I can see what is good about them. A lot of people look back very negatively on Sonic Adventure now days because it is a product of its time but despite the glitches and questionable camera, I still have a great time replaying it because I can see past the problems. Although I agree they are pretty much the best 3D games imo. I would like another game in that same style someday.

Hope you have fun here and don't forget to tell your friends. ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Mini Profile

SCS
Member Avatar
Angel Island Act 2
Fearless Echidna
Feb 10 2018, 08:04:51 PM
Welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here! We've been around since 2006 so we've been around for a very long time. At one point we were the #1 active Sonic forum on all the web! :OMFG: But the rise of social media has really hurt forums. Back in the day, there was a Sonic forum being created all the time there were literally hundreds of them! We are one of the last remaining ones with a small amount of loyal members.

Thanks for the compliments on the design. I've worked on the main design a lot over the years. When Sonic Blast(now part of Sonic HQ) started I really wanted something that made it stand apart. Most fan forums just use the standard design or premade designs that really didn't have a Sonic look to them so I wanted to incorporate Sonic in the design as much as I possibly could. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears! :)

I've been a fan for many years as well, started since Sonic 2 so I have played pretty much all of them. I never had any problem with any and enjoyed even the ones that get trashed on all the time around the web but I am not blind I do see very flawed games in the bad ones. I guess the reason I still enjoy them is because even through the flaws I can see what is good about them. A lot of people look back very negatively on Sonic Adventure now days because it is a product of its time but despite the glitches and questionable camera, I still have a great time replaying it because I can see past the problems. Although I agree they are pretty much the best 3D games imo. I would like another game in that same style someday.

Hope you have fun here and don't forget to tell your friends. ;)
Thank you so much! :) I really appreciate your post.

That's really cool about how long Sonic Blast has been around! I always love when forums have long histories and stories behind them. I'm so glad that this forum is still around and I'm definitely more than happy to join the group of loyal members who stick around.

Your thoughts on forum design echo mine exactly. I can think of several other Sonic sites (that I'll refrain from naming) who use the exact kind of designs that you described: standard or premade designs that just don't really look or feel like Sonic. I really like how you incorporate Sonic into the design as much as possible. I've been on so many forums, but my favorites were always forums that creatively centered their design around their subject: so in this case, featuring the design around Sonic characters/worlds/etc. Thanks so much - I'll be glad to let you know if I think of any ideas or suggestions. I certainly don't have any criticisms - but I'll poke through all the different themes even more and see if I have any suggestions or just overall any ideas for potential new design elements as well.

That's awesome! I'm really glad to hear that you never had a problem with any Sonic games you've played, and that you've enjoyed even the ones that people love to bandwagon hate on all the time. I agree completely. As you mentioned, I agree that the games aren't perfect - but I guess the way I look at it is that they're perfect for me. Which is a very different thing from saying the games themselves are perfect - they all have some kind of flaws, as all games do. But in terms of what I want and like from a game, almost every Sonic game is just perfect for me, and I always enjoy them tremendously. For example, Sonic 06 is hated on a lot. I definitely see the technical problems with that game - but the game had great ideas. It's just incomplete. It's not like it was a finished, complete product that just wasn't good. I think almost all of their ideas for the game were wonderful - sadly things just didn't work out with finishing the game. But that being said, I just can't relate to the bandwagon hate around the net for 06. I dearly love that game, and I always have a blast playing it. I think the story is very fascinating and touching and the gameplay is a lot of fun. It has many technical issues, but I guess that just isn't important to me. The main things that I get into about games or any form of media are the story, world, characters, music, etc first and foremost. I love the atmosphere and the experience, and the gameplay as well.

I'm really glad that you still have a great time replaying Sonic Adventure - I dearly love that series. I'm not sure if it's allowed to link mods here, but I thought I'd just mention: have you experimented with them before? I've found a lot of really awesome mods for Sonic Adventure that make it even better than ever when played on PC: stuff like improved graphics (texture filtering, any resolution you want, widescreen fix, etc), reimplemented functionality (having the game gear games, which weren't officially put in the PC version) and more. Feel free to let me know if you're interested in this (if you don't already know about this) and I'd be happy to PM you the links or if it'd be allowed I could just post them publicly so anyone could check them out.

Thanks so much :D I definitely will.
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

admin HollyYoshiPosted Image
Member Avatar
You wish you had hair like this~
Howdy! Welcome to Sonic HQ! I'm Holly, one of the admins of the forums, and a long time fan of the Sonic series myself. I know I'm a little late in welcoming you, but I hope you've been having a swell time here!
Offline Mini Profile

NanoPhoenix
Member Avatar
Marble Garden Act 2
Greetings!
Posted Image
Hanging on the edge of tomorrow.
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · ★ Act 1 ϟ Member's Resort ★ · Next Topic »
Add Reply