TwitterTwitterYouTube

Add Reply
Sonic Adventure nostalgia thread
Topic Started: Jan 6 2018, 02:58:13 PM (396 Views)
founder Metallix Posted Image
Member Avatar
Metallic Madness
Where were you when the original Sonic Adventure released? It has been just over 19 years since it launched in Japan. In 1998/1999(when it launched here) I was still playing on the original PlayStation. Many great games such as Metal Gear Solid, Ape Escape, and Gran Turismo had come out and I still was enthralled by the 3D graphics(the switch from 2D to 3D was huge at the time).

I remember reading about the Dreamcast and itís amazing 128 bits and seeing pics in magazines in awe of the graphics. I never got one until after it died though. :( I remember the huge ads for DC and Sonic Adventure with Sonic stickers on windows of Blockbuster and as a huge Sonic fan I wanted to play it so bad, especially since every publication was raving about it and giving it a 9/10 or higher. I didnít think graphics could get much better. When I finally did play it in 2003 I loved it. I always dreamed of a proper 3D Sonic since 3D Blast. I donít think a Sonic game will ever be on the forefront of cutting edge technology like the Dreamcast Adventure games offered. Nor do I think there will be any games with as much hype as they had. Even for how good Mania was it didnít come close to the hype that the first Adventure game had. Sadly as far as their overall reach, they were held back by a doomed hardware.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 2
Yeah got to love the whole "bits" wars back in the 90's, even the PS4 and Xbox One at best is 64bit if talking about architecture but i digress.

Sonic adventure for me is still a good game, deeply flawed yes but still overall very good.

I got the dreamcast, such a shame with that console though, the ps2 was too powerful
Offline Mini Profile

renowned antisepticeye
Member Avatar
Laughter is the best medicine....for death
I was only 2 years old when it released on the Dreamcast and I did not play it until many years later when it was imported to gamecube. I played Sonic Adventure 2 Battle first since I did not know there was an original. However ironically enough Sonic Adventure stuck with me more than SA2 did. I guess I found the story more enveloping in Sonic Adventure, I dunno.
Posted Image
i am the air in your lungs and the blood in your veins. i am all the voices you hear, and i will never go away.
credit to painofbeingafinnishfangirl on tumblr for the gif
Offline Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 2
antisepticeye
Jan 10 2018, 09:06:05 PM
However ironically enough Sonic Adventure stuck with me more than SA2 did. I guess I found the story more enveloping in Sonic Adventure, I dunno.
Actually that makes sense as the story in SA1 is much better than SA2.
SA2 feels cobbled together and is riddled with cliches and bad storytelling.
Here is a comparison note:

Sa1:
The world feels bigger
The stages are better
The story gives you a sense of urgency and wonder
All the characters have sense and meaning (except Big of course)
And the story is Shakespeare compared to most other stories in the franchise.

Sa2:
The world feels tiny
The stages range from lackluster to overly complex
The story is lame and underwritten
The characters except for Shadow and Sonic are pointless and feel like filler.
Not to mention Sonic adventure 2 brings us the character I personally blame for the dark period of the franchise Mr. Shadow "Guns and bikes because I am so kewl!" the hedgehog

Seriously screw Shadow, I hate him and every fiber of his boring lame ass character.
To me he will be nothing more than "generic crappy evil twin" #263
Edited by MadmanRB, Jan 12 2018, 10:04:10 AM.
Offline Mini Profile

founder Metallix Posted Image
Member Avatar
Metallic Madness
But Shadow wasnít about guns and bikes then. One could argue heís just a biological metal sonic with a different name and look because heís just an anti sonic like Metal is.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 2
Fearless Echidna
Jan 12 2018, 10:58:57 AM
But Shadow wasnít about guns and bikes then. One could argue heís just a biological metal sonic with a different name and look because heís just an anti sonic like Metal is.
True he wasnt about guns and bikes in SA2 but his over popularity did lead to why the franchise took its nosedive with Shadow the hedgehog in my opinion.
Edited by MadmanRB, Jan 12 2018, 11:44:03 AM.
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
I first played Sonic Adventure on the Nintendo GameCube which was the DX version. I thought it was a really good game. The story was good, the music was great and it still has one of my favourite final boss battles in a Sonic game. I didn't get the Sega Dreamcast until much later and I have the original game, but I haven't played it yet. Since I played the GameCube version first, I guess there's not much difference between the two.
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · ★ Act 1 ϟ Sonic Game Stadium ★ · Next Topic »
Add Reply