TwitterTwitterYouTube

Add Reply
The Sonic Series Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 2 2017, 08:30 AM (432 Views)
renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
This is a discussion topic about the Sonic games. Where the series is going and whether or not there could be a great Sonic game again.

The series seems to have be going up and down, I think since the release of Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic Heroes. With the next games what followed. Shadow the Hedgehog. (If that is a Sonic game.) Sonic 2006, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colours. Two of the games didn't seem to do well, with one of then having bugs.,and one had mixed reviews due to werehog stages. Although I guess Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 had some fans, and I think Sonic Unleashed has better gameplay than the Adventure games. Sonic Colours I thought was great and it's my favourite of the whole series. It seemed that was the best out of the four, although it was only released on the Wii and Nintendo DS.

The next three games Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric. I guess that's the series going up and down again. Sonic Generations was the best from the three. I guessed Sonic Lost World had mixed reviews. But Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric like Sonic 06 had bugs, but I guess some of them got fixed. That game didn't do well, but I guess it had some fans. But the two Sonic Boom games on the Nintendo 3DS I thought did okay.

The next two games Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces again was up and down, but those were released in the same year. Sonic Mania seemed to do well. It was a return to the classic games from the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. A mixture of levels from Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3 and Sonic and Knuckles along with some new ones too. Then Sonic Forces what got mixed reviews some saying it's good and some saying it's bad. I thought the game was good, but I do think more could have been done.

Anyway could there be another great Sonic game again?
Edited by Zamau, Dec 6 2017, 01:34 PM.
Offline Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 1
Yes but Only if Sonic sticksd to 2D for a bit.
Mania proved that Sonic has some good to it but only another without another 3D game for a while will help things.
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
It might be good if some new released Sonic games were 2D. But will Sonic Team do a game like that? Since Sonic Mania was done by another developer.
Edited by Zamau, Dec 4 2017, 02:07 PM.
Offline Mini Profile

MadmanRB
Member Avatar
Carnival Night Act 1
Well we dont need sonic eam, I mean Chris Whitehead and the other Mania developers didnt have sega on hand and yet made a great game
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Ludichaos
Member Avatar
[Justice Buster]
To be fair though they've had a lot of practice leading up to Mania, to the point where they made their own engine to replicate the feel of the older games. Something Sonic Team has been unable to do for whatever reason.

Sonic Team is capable of making good Sonic games. They just need to focus on defining and refining what makes for a good Modern Sonic game instead of constantly diluting them with a new gameplay style every other game. On top of that they really need to stop rushing games for deadlines since Forces sounds like it would have been better with another month for polishing.

tl;dr: Yes it's possible, but only if Sonic Team rethinks they way they do things.
【One third of Sonic Blast's Legendary Australian Trio. Became the Trio Master by default】
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
It would be good to have a new 3D Sonic game going back to the old gameplay. Ever since Unleashed there has been some new gameplay or gimmick, and after Colours the Whisps have been in every 3D Sonic by Sonic Team.
Offline Mini Profile

Flora85
No Avatar
Character Select
I honestly think some of the issues of 3D Sonic games is trying to experiment one too many new mechanics as well not staying focus on gameplay and character development/story. As much as I understand they don't want the games to be dull, but putting a bunch of new games all in one is a hit or miss. And when they do find a good mechanic to add in the games, such as the boost formula, they either mix it up with more unneeded mechanics or the layout of the stages are dull/uninspiring (or simply doesn't wok well with the mechanic and control)

And the story is kinda all over the place. I am aware this isn't like a RPG deep level of story telling and the series is targeted to kids and adults alike. But I feel they don't really try hard enough to make the story interesting as well as well-constructed character development to each of the main Sonic characters. And certain elements are either unneeded to be part of the Sonic lore (the events of Sonic '06 and Classic Sonic involve in Sonic Forces) or doesn't make much sense and isn't explained clearly Sonic Boom's story is a good example in this part. I don't mind to be comedic, which is fine. But certain things in the Sonic Boom's universe isn't well explained at all.

Understandably, they don't want the series to be dull, instead of trying out a bunch of new mechanics or controls to each game they release, they should really look at the ones that DID work and make the stages or the game in general better and interesting around it. That way, they have a better chance at the game being fun for everyone. As well as testing gaming control better so it won't be either too slippery (Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog is an example) or too precise (Sonic '06). And of course AVOID RUSHING DEVELOPMENT. That's a guarantee the game will fail and have negative reviews.

I probably miss some other key elements as well of what they should do to improve 3D Sonic. But they should not focus too much on pleasing every single person on the planet and stick on what works for them and create something well worth while.
Edited by Flora85, Dec 26 2017, 05:16 PM.
Offline Mini Profile

renowned antisepticeye
Member Avatar
Laughter is the best medicine....for death
i think it's possible to get "good" (i use the term loosely as i do not think there is a bad sonic game save for sonic 06) sonic games again if sonic team rethinks the way they are making games currently and tries to think before just..throwing out random games without any thought or effort put into them
Posted Image
i am the air in your lungs and the blood in your veins. i am all the voices you hear, and i will never go away.
credit to painofbeingafinnishfangirl on tumblr for the gif
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Zamau
Member Avatar
Lava Reef Act 1
One of the things I didn't like about Sonic Forces was they reused the same levels, there were some differences in them, but you had to go through Green Hill, Chemical Plant and other levels a few times. Also the games don't seem to focus too much on the chaos emeralds to get the ending anymore, although that is just Sonic Colours and Sonic Forces. I hope the chaos emeralds become part of the story in future games again.
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · ★ Act 1 ϟ Sonic Game Stadium ★ · Next Topic »
Add Reply