TwitterTwitterYouTube

Add Reply
Sonic 2 HD is back!
Topic Started: Sep 15 2017, 07:49:38 AM (416 Views)
founder Metallix Posted Image
Member Avatar
Metallic Madness
Looks just as good as it always has but makes me wonder if it'll ever be finished?!

Edited by Metallix, Sep 17 2017, 06:15:11 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online Mini Profile

RedFox96
Member Avatar
Angel Island Act 2
Chemical plant and Emerald Hill look great but Hill Top is a bit too clean. But completely 1:1 HD recreations of low resolution pixel art has a habit of ending up like this, precisely because it was designed specifically to work within that level of fidelity in the first place. The psychology that underlines pixel art is very different, since it's a very implicit artform that relies heavily on our brain's pattern recognition to fill in all the gaps to make sense of what we're seeing. When the artstyle is recreated at a much higher native resolution, that entire aspect is lost, and since it's so overly commited to preserving the same style of detail, there's nothing new in there to compensate for what was lost in translation.
Red Fox
Posted ImagePosted Image

Offline Mini Profile

renowned Ludichaos
Member Avatar
[Thief]
Interesting. Figured the game was done and dusted. Then again I guess they may have just shelved it while they were doing work on Sonic Mania. Looks alright, but I can't say I'm hyped for it. If they ever finish the game I'll probably play it through at least once though.
【One third of Sonic Blast's Legendary Australian Trio. Became the Trio Master by default】
Offline Mini Profile

DreamSaturn
Member Avatar
A new venture. La la. La la.
It's really great to see this back in action again!
Former Co-Founder, Developer, Writer and QA Tester at Gamestalgia
Writer and Critic at GameMutt
Support me on Patreon, if you're feeling generous!
Follow me on Tumblr! (I don't use this very much!)
Check out my Youtube Channel!
Keep up with me and my antics on Twitter!
Offline Mini Profile

Wingzzzzy
Member Avatar
Character Select
I am so hyped of playing this game if it can run on my shitty laptop.
Offline Mini Profile

founder Metallix Posted Image
Member Avatar
Metallic Madness
Wingzzzzy
Sep 17 2017, 02:34:01 AM
I am so hyped of playing this game if it can run on my shitty laptop.
Well being 2D it shouldn't be too demanding, but yes, I hope I can play it on my terrible laptop too! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online Mini Profile

Beta_Ray_Banhammer
Member Avatar
Whitebeard
RedFox96
Sep 15 2017, 07:56:44 AM
Chemical plant and Emerald Hill look great but Hill Top is a bit too clean. But completely 1:1 HD recreations of low resolution pixel art has a habit of ending up like this, precisely because it was designed specifically to work within that level of fidelity in the first place. The psychology that underlines pixel art is very different, since it's a very implicit artform that relies heavily on our brain's pattern recognition to fill in all the gaps to make sense of what we're seeing. When the artstyle is recreated at a much higher native resolution, that entire aspect is lost, and since it's so overly commited to preserving the same style of detail, there's nothing new in there to compensate for what was lost in translation.
This is what I'm thinking. It looks off, almost like a flash game... :Eww:
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · ★ Act 1 ϟ Sonic Game Stadium ★ · Next Topic »
Add Reply