~Welcome to the Sonic Blast Community Forum~
Hello Sonic fans! Since we opened in 2006 our aspiration has been to offer the most authentic Sonic-themed community on the web for Sonic enthusiasts new and old. We do our best to provide unique features, unique Sonic-themed designs, and offer compelling topics of discussion with people you can call family. Our community is full of friendly people who love to help out. We would be honored if you decided to join our forum. Being a part of our community is easy, quick, and absolutely free.

[Click here to register your free citizenship!]
If you're already a citizen please log in to chat in our kingdom and access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Sonic Mania |OT|; The other 25th Anniversary project.
Topic Started: Jul 24 2016, 06:56 PM (2,560 Views)
renowned Ludichaos
Member Avatar
[Arisu in Fluxtown]
What. A thread for Project Sonic and none for Sonic Mania? You lot are despicable.

There's not a lot to say about Sonic Mania when the trailer says all that needs to be said. It's a Classic 2D styled Sonic game with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as playable characters. Developed in collaboration with Christian Whitehead (known for his outstanding ports of classic titles) and coming to PS4, Xbone and PC around Q2 next year.

I feel like it'll be the game out of the two I enjoy more due to how much I tend to enjoy Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The gameplay looks tight, the new shading is pretty good (curious about how Tails and Knuckles will look using it) and can't really find anything negative to say about it besides a few personal nitpicks (I'd have preferred the sprite style being closer to Sonic 3, but meh).

I just hope there's a decent length to it. At least 8 Zones would be nice. Also looks like bosses take more than three hits which is nice to see again after so long. Overall feeling pretty hyped for it.

Update: A Nintendo Switch version has also been confirmed! Now you can enjoy the game regardless of your company preference.
Edited by Ludichaos, Jan 13 2017, 08:54 PM.
【One third of Sonic Blast's Legendary Australian Trio. The last remaining member】
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Shyna
Member Avatar
Ice Cap Act 2
I was going to make a thread to this one, but I didn't have the time and I had other things to do.

Part of me thinks it's more pandering to "Classic Fan-Brats," but I do like some of the stuff I'm seeing here. Just too early to make good preemptive decisions now.
Although one of the bosses looks like the classic Wrecking Ball Eggman boss, but now with the ball as the weak point instead of the main part.

Also, have a Music Track from it that has been posted.

Be sure to check me out on Deviant Art to see some of my various drawings and artworks. http://hexidextrous.deviantart.com/

Also, I would like to ask a favor from for anyone who is my friend here.
If someday we meet in person in the near future, and I had recently done anything that would confirm that I had become a Brony (which as of now I am not one), such as if I had posted on a Pony-related fan-site, drawn a Pony-themed artwork, contributed to a Pony fanfic, or anything else along those lines. If I have done anything like that, I want you to punch me in the face without warning. This make sound like I'm joking, but I am absolutely serious about this. Ignore any future statements retracting this if I ever make any. Though if you do, please first confirm that it is me who is doing it, and not some Brony who is posing as me and wants to see me get punched. I do not wish to go down the path of the Bronies, and hopefully those of you reading this will help me so that it stays that way, if god forbid I ever even attempt it.
Thank you.
Offline Mini Profile

renowned KogaHarine
Member Avatar
Hero of Hyrule
The way it seems it looks like it will be longer than the normal games if they are using both old and new zones. I'm kinda hoping it is a massive love letter to the original 3 games with enough new content to make it worthwhile for new fans to pick up. Also Shyna, there's no need to call Classic Fans "brats". Whether they prefer Classic or Modern is irrelevant since Sega and Sonic Team themselves have finally realized that both sides of the fandom have legitimate grounds to stand on and are making games to satisfy both. Personally I like both although I lean a little more towards the Modern Era since I prefer the gameplay for it a little bit more and I grew up with it more than I did the Classics (S3&K is still the best though. I've been replaying it in the form of Sonic 3.0 Complete with the original stage order and I love it for staying even more true to the originals than even S3&K did with the inclusion of certain scenes and boss fights).

I'm really looking forward to what Christian Whitehead can do for this since he did such a great job on the ports they had him doing a while back. I still think it's awesome that they got someone from the fan-game community to work for them and make new games moving forward cause it shows that SEGA is finally maturing and working with the fans more.

I will say my favorite thing they've shown so far is that new Drop Dash move. I've always felt like the spin dash is such a great move but can be hard to utilize in certain scenarios and with this it looks like we may actually have a way to make Classic Sonic go even faster than before since you don't have to stop to be able to spin dash into obstacles or enemies.
Posted Image
~Super Mario Maker Profile~
Online Mini Profile

overlord Neo MetallixPosted Image
Member Avatar
~Doomsday Overlord~
It looks pretty awesome!! Some parts looked better than others though but this is what Sonic 4 should have been by the looks of it!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Puncture the Porcupine, my fancharacter!
Online Mini Profile

renowned Ludichaos
Member Avatar
[Arisu in Fluxtown]
KogaHarine
Jul 25 2016, 06:46 AM
Also Shyna, there's no need to call Classic Fans "brats".
Pretty funny choice of term too considering all the kicking and screaming about "where's my serious Sonic plot" ever since Colours was a thing from the crowd who joined around Adventure. As someone who's been around since almost the start that seems more bratty to me. :P

Ignoring Classic purists, Sega getting a 2D Sonic game right is something I've wanted for a while now. It's never been a thing I've strongly desired for the series since for the most part I enjoyed all of the games bar a few notable exceptions. But every time we've seen an attempt to return to the series' roots they've never quite gotten it right. The physics are generally off and it feels a bit stiff (Sonic 4 Episode 2 was pretty decent and Generations was close but the rolling let it down) which really prevents me from going back and enjoying multiple playthroughs. But it looks to me like Mania has got it spot on and that's a very exciting prospect.

Been watching some off-screen footage the past few days and they've packed in so many things it's hard not to look forward to it. Elemental Shields from S3&K, Blue Rings from Knuckles Chaotix and Studiopolis has a bunch of references to Sega and Sonic's history. The music is pretty catchy too. Sounds a lot like Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack so glad to hear they've got that spot on.

Visually I'm liking the added frames of animation on Sonic too. His balancing sprite when he's on the edge is really fluid and I'm glad to see the return of Act Clear poses from S3&K. Can't wait to see what Tails and Knuckles look like in this.
【One third of Sonic Blast's Legendary Australian Trio. The last remaining member】
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Ravenfreak
Member Avatar
Sonic and Raven! :3
This is definitely the game I'm looking forward to the most. Sure Project 2017 seems promising, but I grew up with the classics on the Genesis and Mania is a Sonic game I've been wanting for years now. Best of all, the game is in really good hands too! I wonder what other levels they added to the game, and I can't wait to see new ones too! Studiopolis looks amazing, I love all the Sega references they added to the level. I can only imagine that Eggman will be using some large camera and film reels as weapons to try and stop Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Hopefully we can also play as Sonic & Tails, Sonic & Knuckles, and Knuckles & Tails together! Can it be spring 2017 yet?
RIP Mighty No. 9 Universe 2013-2015
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Ludichaos
Member Avatar
[Arisu in Fluxtown]
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Sonic & Tails mode in there somewhere. Possibly Knuckles & Tails too. Not so sure about Sonic & Knuckles since I'd half expect the two to have branching paths again. Would make for some fun two player stuff though.

I watched quite a few videos the week after the reveal and I'm only hearing good things. Special Rings that lead to special stages are confirmed to be back as well, though no word on what the special stages are like. Some assume the return of Blue Sphere, I'm personally expecting something original. Either way it's my preferred method of accessing Special Stages so I'm glad to see it back in.

Sadly it's still forever away. But here's a neat remix of Studiopolis in a 16-Bit style to listen to while you wait!
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

renowned Ludichaos
Member Avatar
[Arisu in Fluxtown]
So Sonic Mania is getting a Collector's Edition.

This version is only in the US so far. No word on whether other regions are getting it. Kinda in two minds whether I want to get a version of it down here since frankly I have no room for pretty stuff anyway.

Still, looks really neat. Kind of surprised the game is getting one too.

While I'm here, have 12 minutes of footage without commentary too.
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
~Doomsday Overlord~
Ludichaos
Sep 14 2016, 08:34 PM
So Sonic Mania is getting a Collector's Edition.

This version is only in the US so far. No word on whether other regions are getting it. Kinda in two minds whether I want to get a version of it down here since frankly I have no room for pretty stuff anyway.

Still, looks really neat. Kind of surprised the game is getting one too.

While I'm here, have 12 minutes of footage without commentary too.
I like the stuff it comes with but I hate the fact it doesn't have a physical disc! I would so love a physical disc to go along with my collection! Hopefully limited run games prints out a few!

I love the statue in it though! :)
So according to Sega on their stream there will be more classic levels than new ones in this game. Idk how I feel about that I was hoping it'd be less of a remake game. Here's hoping they have Sandopolis!
Edited by Neo Metallix, Sep 20 2016, 02:46 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Online Mini Profile

majesty HollyYoshiPosted Image
Member Avatar
Screwing the rules, one duel at a time
So I'm only now posting in this topic, despite knowing about the game since it was announced. I know I'm a lazy bitch, don't judge me people!

Anyway, Mania is looking really promising right now. One of the problems I've had with games like Sonic 4 when they tried to go back to basics is that they could never get it quite right; I'm sure we all remember Episode 1's issue with the physics. Mania seems to have gotten that part right, but we'll have to actually play the game to be sure. :P

Graphic-wise, the game looks positively gorgeous. Green Hill Zone looks as good as ever, and Studiopolis is such a beautiful level. Loving all the little Sega references in that stage. I'm also very down with little animations Sonic has. They even brought back the animation from CD where Sonic spins around whenever you hit a spring. It's a small thing, but dammit it made me smile when I saw that.

And oh my god, playable Tails and Knuckles? Yes, please! Glad to see the Elemental Shields return as well. Maybe we'll get a new shield for this game. An ice one, maybe? That would be cool.

I want that collector's edition, but I'm really disappointed it's not coming to Nintendo consoles. Maybe it'll be ported to the NX at some point. Pretty please?

And can we please get a remade Hydrocity Zone in here? I would be a very happy camper if that happened.

And how would you all like some new information, courtesy of a stream from Sega earlier today?

Well....

http://soahcity.com/2016/09/21/new-sonic-mania-inforomation-revelaed/

Some things to note, copied from the original article;

SOAH Article

There will be a series of “new items” in Sonic Mania, which will be revealed at a later date.

There will be more re-imagined past stages in the game than original stages, however it is highly emphasized that the old stages are going to be very different from their original counterparts.

We will see classic levels return from Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, and CD.

When asked if there will be a demo yet, we are told there currently are not any plans for one.

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are currently the only playable characters confirmed for the game.
Online Mini Profile

Member Avatar
~Doomsday Overlord~
Yeah I agree with you on that, they really messed up Sonic 4! I thought Episode II was alright though and enjoyable but not anything great. The music was mostly miss than hit. This is what Sonic 4 should have been!

Christian Whitehead

for the 25th anniversary Sonic Team wanted to celebrate the classic titles in a new and exciting way.

Seems a lot of people were upset more old levels than new would be included but CW has given the reason why it's that way. It's a 25th anniversary game, so it makes sense.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Online Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Yeah, they really dropped the ball on Sonic 4. That game could have been so much better, though I agree that Episode 2 was an improvement. Mania looks amazing however, and I'm eager to see more of it. Hopefully the next few bits of news will showcase things we haven't seen yet.

Studiopolis has made me wonder what other new stages will be in the game. Maybe we'll get a level based on one of the stages that didn't quite make it into Sonic 2, like Cyber/Genocide City or Wood Zone.
Edited by HollyYoshi, Sep 23 2016, 11:59 AM.
Online Mini Profile

Ravenfreak
Member Avatar
Sonic and Raven! :3
I wouldn't be worried about the physics. Christian Whitehead and Stealth have been working on Sonic hacks and fan games for years. Christian goes by The Taxman over at Sonic Retro, he was the first one I believe to make a very decent fan game engine, one that was accurate to the classic Sonic games. While Stealth himself proved that Knuckles could indeed have been a playable character in Sonic 1, something that Sega thought was impossible back in the day. Plus he's ported a few levels from the classics over to the GBA, again proving that Sonic Genesis on the GBA could have been better. He's done countless other projects, and he was the leader of Team Megamix after Tweaker left the community. These guys know their stuff, so it definitely won't be like Sonic 4. ;)

Though I agree with the physical release remark. I really would have loved to have a physical release of Mania, so I am a bit disappointed that it's digital only. I'm also a bit disappointed to hear that there will be more classic levels than original ones, but Green Hill Zone does look different and Christian himself said the game is going to be huge so I'm definitely looking forward to what Mania has in store for us still though. Also I went ahead and pre-ordered the PS4 version. I also went ahead and bought the "Triple Threat" shirt that has Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles on the front of the shirt since it's only going to be sold until the end of the month.
RIP Mighty No. 9 Universe 2013-2015
Offline Mini Profile

Member Avatar
Oh, I'm not doubting they'll do a better job on the physics than what we got on Sonic 4. Like I said, the videos we've been shown seems to suggest that.

And a physical release would be pretty nice, I will say. And anyone think they'll be classic versions of the other characters, like Amy for instance, as cameos?
Online Mini Profile

Lord DragonFlame
Member Avatar

I must admit, didn't expect Sonic Mania when I was waiting for an announcement concerning what new titles may be revealed due to his 25th year long lifespan.
Considering how many hours me and my friend put into these titles when we were young, this is an absolute project which I'm nailing upon release.
It looks sweet, and even if I myself have no history behind Christian Whitehead, what people have been praising him for in the past, I can at least have a small decency of hope that this may very well be something that'll live on for decades after release.
Working on banner, but if your looking to have some time off. Come, visit my channel on youtube.
Warzak85DF's Let's Play corner
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · -=Act II=- Sonic Game Stadium · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: