~Welcome to the Sonic Blast Community Forum~
Greetings stranger, it is an honor to have you as a visitor. Since we opened in 2006 our goal has been to offer the most authentic Sonic-themed community on the web for Sonic enthusiasts new and old. We do our best to provide the most unique features, best Sonic-themed designs, and have the latest news; always improving to cover all of your Sonic needs. Our community is full of friendly people and we hope you enjoy your brief stay but would be thrilled if you decided to join in on the fun. Being a part of our community is easy, quick, and absolutely free.

Click here to join our community and enter the land of Mobius as a =SB= citizen!
Citizens may log in to their account to participate in our land's conversations and access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
  • Pages:
Does the Name "Eggman" Annoy Anybody Else?
Topic Started: Nov 12 2011, 06:14 AM (935 Views)
SonicSynthesis
Member Avatar
Hydrocity Act 1
Why on earth did they call that instead of Robotnik?! It's such a stupid name!
Offline Mini Profile

Eren Jaeger
Member Avatar
"I will kill ALL of the Titans!"
Doesn't seem as much of a debatable topic, but I do miss the name Robotnik. "Eggman" just doesn't seem very evil to me. Robotnik is the name of someone you'd expect to have killer robots ready to attack you, but Eggman just seems like a joke. It'd be better to keep Eggman as an insult Sonic and friends can throw at him once in a while.

Or he call himself Robotnik and Sonic co. call him Eggman as a run-on insult.
Edited by Eren Jaeger, Nov 12 2011, 06:37 AM.
-Sig under construction because the next thing I use will be hilarious-

Hey guys! Check out this game I made Here!
Offline Mini Profile

SonicSynthesis
Member Avatar
Hydrocity Act 1
Yeah i agree. In the comics he'd be called Robotnik, and while they used that name for him Sonic and co occasionally called him Egghead or something.
Offline Mini Profile

Cee Jay HaychPosted Image
Member Avatar
Dividing by Zero
Considering I joined the fandom after playing Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, I kinda got use to calling him Eggman more so then Robotnik anyway.
So yeah, doesn't really effect me at all.
Offline Mini Profile

Emperor Nero of Rome
Member Avatar
Hydrocity Act 2
Robotnik. Yeah, I know, I'm 9, but Eggman?

You serious?

WHAT KIND OF NAME IS THAT?

Nero20 Yesterday, 6:16 PM
QUICK! SAY SOMETHING STUPID TO PUT ON MY SIGNATURE HERE AND ON SAP!

Lagomorph Today, 5:55 AM
uh
UH

BANANA AND POOP MAKE TOGETHER A TEAM

Mordecai is pissed off

Offline Mini Profile

Snow-Capped RosePosted Image
Member Avatar
I object to your claims
I don't really care. I call him Robotnik because I like it better, but Eggman is fitting as a nickname.

Besides, in Japan, he has ALWAYS been known as Eggman.
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Glassguy
Member Avatar
Hydrocity Act 2
I always called him Eggman, even in the Genesis games. I care way more about how he's been acting like a clown recently than his name. Before changing his name, it'd be way more important to make him stop acting like a crazy fat man destined to fail.
To speak with your heart, you need to Open your Heart. To do so, you must Live and Learn in His World to show What I'm made of, but the world has Endless Possibilities so in the end, It doesn't Matter what will happen, you will Reach for the Stars...
Offline Mini Profile

Frosty the SnowFoxx
Member Avatar
Stay Frosty
I personally thought it was hilarious when I heard that his name was Eggman when Sonic Adventure came out.
Posted Image
The Matrix...It has you..
Offline Mini Profile

SuperShadowgal
Member Avatar
The Female Ultimate Life Form!
He was always called Eggman in Japan though. By Sonic Adventure 2 they settled the differences in translation so to speak by making Robotnik his surname, with Eggman being more of a nickname given by Sonic.
The navigation (links):
Sonic FCs /|\ Art /|\ Hug? /|\ Awesome /|\ Free Cake /|\ Internets /|\ My Adoptables
Latest blog entry: SSG Plays Pokemon White Version 2! Part 3! (11/3/12)
*=Outdated

Posted ImagePosted Image
Help the dragons grow big and stwong.

There used to be music here ~
Offline Mini Profile

Jenna Jay
Member Avatar
I'm still cute!
I must be the only one that thinks Robotnik just doesn't fit.

I mean, We have a Hedgehog that runs at Sonic Speed.
A Fox with two Tails.
An Echidna that punches things with his bare Knuckles.
Why not a Man that looks like an Egg?
Offline Mini Profile

snow toilet
Member Avatar
Huffing Kitty Litty
Eggman is just a nickname as Robotnik is his real last name.

I know in Wing Fortress Zone you can see the words "EGGMAN" written on one of the fins? of the plane.

So yeah, they've always called him Dr. Eggman.

I think it's also easier to say.
The Angelic Vulpix
Nov 12 2011, 02:41 PM
He never really looked like an egg to me in the old games.
Even in his artwork up till Sonic R.
Edited by snow toilet, Nov 12 2011, 03:07 PM.

Offline Mini Profile

Gunbuster
Member Avatar
HARD WORK AND GUTS.
He did pretty much look like an egg in the older games, y'just never saw many full-body sprites of him. Also, it's Japan, they have strange naming conventions for things like this. This was one of the rare cases where Japanese localization actually carried through into the west - which actually raises an interesting point... I'll have to see what's said in the games where they mention the difference between Eggman and Robotnik...
Hey, all the cool hip RP-ers out there. RP with me. I'm cool too.
Offline Mini Profile

Neo MetallixPosted Image
Member Avatar
~Doomsday Overlord~
snow toilet
Nov 12 2011, 03:06 PM
Eggman is just a nickname as Robotnik is his real last name.

I know in Wing Fortress Zone you can see the words "EGGMAN" written on one of the fins? of the plane.

So yeah, they've always called him Dr. Eggman.

I think it's also easier to say.
The Angelic Vulpix
Nov 12 2011, 02:41 PM
He never really looked like an egg to me in the old games.
Even in his artwork up till Sonic R.
Yeah he never looked like an Egg to me just a really fat person even with his full sprites. Plus he was always Eggman in Japan as you can see in the Sonic 2 level.

That said I like Robotnik better and I don't see why they can't just have it different here. I mean similar to how Resident Evil is RE in the West but in Japan it's Biohazard. However Eggman does fit his recent personality where he's not very cunning or evil genius like but a bumbling moron. I like his persona in Sonic '06 because he was very evil scientist-like and not a clown.
Edited by Neo Metallix, Nov 12 2011, 05:07 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Puncture the Porcupine, my fancharacter!
Offline Mini Profile

Gunbuster
Member Avatar
HARD WORK AND GUTS.
Neo Metallix
Nov 12 2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah he never looked like an Egg to me just a really fat person even with his full sprites. Plus he was always Eggman in Japan as you can see in the Sonic 2 level.

That said I like Robotnik better and I don't see why they can't just have it different here. I mean similar to how Resident Evil is RE in the West but in Japan it's Biohazard. However Eggman does fit his recent personality where he's not very cunning or evil genius like but a bumbling moron. I like his persona in Sonic '06 because he was very evil scientist-like and not a clown.
They have to try and amalgamate all known continuities of Robotnik/Eggman to ensure the canon one doesn't alienate many people. He has the characteristics of a bumbling moron, similar to how one of the old cartoons played out but he has some strokes of absolute genius from time to time and when he gets it right, he can go full on evil for the duration of his success. Eggman does suit though... I'm guessing because of the whole "rotten egg" thing though.
Hey, all the cool hip RP-ers out there. RP with me. I'm cool too.
Offline Mini Profile

Sonic 2
Member Avatar
=SB= Sonic Logic Theorist.
It never bothered me that his name is Eggman, since from the beginning it's been that, and I'm sure the manuals make references to the "Robotnik" in his name sometimes.

Oh and...

Basically, I have no problem if they call him Robotnik, But I don't see the problem with Eggman. I mean come on, He rides the Egg-mobile, planned to use the Death Egg, Egg Carrier, and the Egg Fleet. Basically, most of his things are called Egg *insert word here*. Oh and he had Eggmanland.

Edited by Sonic 2, Nov 12 2011, 07:01 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Act II: Sonic's Moonlit Realm · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages: