~Welcome to the Sonic Blast Community Forum~
Greetings stranger, it is an honor to have you as a visitor. Since we opened in 2006 our goal has been to offer the most authentic Sonic-themed community on the web for Sonic enthusiasts new and old. We do our best to provide the most unique features, best Sonic-themed designs, and have the latest news; always improving to cover all of your Sonic needs. Our community is full of friendly people and we hope you enjoy your brief stay but would be thrilled if you decided to join in on the fun. Being a part of our community is easy, quick, and absolutely free.

Click here to join our community and enter the land of Mobius as a =SB= citizen!
Citizens may log in to their account to participate in our land's conversations and access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
When did this become a offensive term?; I had no idea...
Topic Started: Feb 4 2011, 12:07 PM (1,284 Views)
L Dragon
Member Avatar
Chaos Emerald
So! I was bored one day, along with my neighbor who was over at the time. So we decided to draw doodles of whatever. One of them we drew together was a chibi/cute/super hero eskimo anime person thingy. She told me to scan the lovely pictures we drew and post them up on DA, to which I started off with the eskimo one. A day later, the picture was removed and there was no note sent to me saying why it was removed or deleted. However, I found out why it was removed.

Apparently, the word eskimo is now an offensive word. I say now because I don't remember a time in the past when the term was offensive. According to google, eskimo means 'raw flesh eaters' or something like that. Having read that, it seems that all of a sudden, people woke up one day and was like, 'Hey, we call our selves eskimo, but what does the word mean?' and then Johnny was like 'Oh, it means raw flesh eater' to which Kyle was like 'oh... Hey thats offensive! I don't like that at all! Lets tell the world now!' and then they proceeded to call themselves Inuit.

Now, I'm not trying to offended anyone here, all though I am taking a slightly joking approach to this with the whole Kyle and Johnny thingy, but seriously, when did this term become offensive? It seems rather random. Unless it HAS been offensive for a long time now and I simply wasn't aware of the fact, seeing as I remember several of my teachers saying eskimos throughout most of my school years as a young one. I know this isn't like, a topic to simply discuss, I just want to know when did this change happen? Also, to inform those that don't know about this, cause I wasn't informed at all... Then again, that isn't a dinner conversation that just pops up. Any thoughts, comments, issues, and/or concerns are welcomed. Discuss! :D
Posted Image
Sonic Blast Fated Kingdom Fanfic
Members/Chara Data-Base
Chapter 1: Otogi | Chapter 2: Claws, Rifle, and Wind Chain | Chapter 3: Crimson, Psychic, and Mage Chain | Chapter 4: Eclipse Blossom | Chapter 5: Death Chain | Chapter 6: Royal Blood | Chapter 7: Cold Chain | Chapter 8: Siege | Chapter 9: Memories of Old Kingdom | Chapter 10: Tactic, Purge, and the Fight | Chapter 11: Four Shadows | Chapter 12: Three Letters
Sonic Blast Madness Fanfic
Chapter 1: Openly Close | Chapter 2: Kamelot Tol-e-maC | Chapter 3: Found Lost | Chapter 4: Reaper What You Soul | Chapter 5: Openly Reapers in Lost Tolemac | Chapter 6: Follow the Reaper | Chapter 7: Don't Follow the Reaper | Chapter 8: Fight Yourself, Die Yourself | Chapter 9: Masquerader Massacre | Chapter 10: THE Enemy | Chapter 11: Gulliver | Chapter 12: Finally, Unlimited Madness | Chapter 12: Finally, Loki's Madness(alternate ending)

I'm totes a guy~
Kota: I hereby dub thee, Swolverine~
Offline Mini Profile

Replies:
Dr. Prower
Member Avatar
I like being a gentleman sometimes
Everyone is offended by something. It's how the world works.
Posted Image
I ship LinkxEpona
"For the lulz?"
....Okay.

Don't fear the darkness. Embrace it, like you would a fluffy puppy. Embrace the fluffy puppy of darkness!
Breezy is mah hasubando! <3

Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Snowmanic
Member Avatar
it is way too cold for this
I don't see why the term should be censored. Especially not on dA, where tons of controversial words and jokes are used daily.

If people can't say "Eskimo", they shouldn't be able to post pictures of Zombie Jesus. People do that anyway. :I

By the way, "Eskimo" is seen as a real word by spell check if you capitalize it. :V
Posted Image
~dA~tumblr~
Offline Mini Profile

L Dragon
Member Avatar
Chaos Emerald
... I could of swore I capped the first letter when I typed it the first time, and saw that it was still missed spelled... Guess not. XD

Oh! Also, I subconsciously tried to dodge getting the picture removed I suppose, or at least I tried making the title sound 'cute' by spelling Eskimo(hey it worked! spell check no red line it! Kiara is a G!) like this. 'Escomo' I also did this because its also spanish, Es Como. Which is very bad spanish(bad as in it doesn't make sense at all, and it doesn't contain any foul language.) So! Either DA took it down cause they thought I was an idiot who didn't know how to speak/type spanish, or they saw through the cuteness I was trying to input and read it as Eskimo... So yeah... Still shocks me that this word is now offense to only SOME people, but enough to have my picture removed from DA without even telling me why... Could someone have reported it on DA?
Posted Image
Members/Chara Data-Base
Chapter 1: Otogi | Chapter 2: Claws, Rifle, and Wind Chain | Chapter 3: Crimson, Psychic, and Mage Chain | Chapter 4: Eclipse Blossom | Chapter 5: Death Chain | Chapter 6: Royal Blood | Chapter 7: Cold Chain | Chapter 8: Siege | Chapter 9: Memories of Old Kingdom | Chapter 10: Tactic, Purge, and the Fight | Chapter 11: Four Shadows | Chapter 12: Three Letters
Chapter 1: Openly Close | Chapter 2: Kamelot Tol-e-maC | Chapter 3: Found Lost | Chapter 4: Reaper What You Soul | Chapter 5: Openly Reapers in Lost Tolemac | Chapter 6: Follow the Reaper | Chapter 7: Don't Follow the Reaper | Chapter 8: Fight Yourself, Die Yourself | Chapter 9: Masquerader Massacre | Chapter 10: THE Enemy | Chapter 11: Gulliver | Chapter 12: Finally, Unlimited Madness | Chapter 12: Finally, Loki's Madness(alternate ending)

I'm totes a guy~
Offline Mini Profile

EileanachPosted Image
Member Avatar
. . .
-blinks a few times- I am really surprised by this.

It is highly likely it was reported by someone who does take offence at everything (remember there are folks on the internet who are constantly offended by everything!). I am really surprised that it was taken down but if folk complain that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I knew that Inuit was the correct term for them but I don't see, at all, how "Eskimo" comes across as derogatory or anything.
~Eileanach~
Posted Image
Oh, stop the world I want to get off!
Offline Mini Profile

L Dragon
Member Avatar
Chaos Emerald
In a way, I can see how its 'offensive,' seeing as how the word means 'Eaters of raw flesh'(or something like that.) However, people didn't have a problem with it before. And now all of a sudden, its overly offensive to the point where people are even looking for miss spellings of the word, cause ya know, offensive words missed spelled make it THAT more offensive. >_>

I mean, sure, this whole thingy started in 1970(apparently) but people didn't care at that time. At least, it was that big of a deal because they called themselves Eskimos.(and still do, at least some do.) That is like saying you can't all Japanese person Asian, cause it offends them cause people think of Chinese people when they hear Asian.(of course this is NOT true at all, I'm just trying to make a point, to which I'm failing at it I think)

Anyways, its strange, and I think if they are going to make such a big deal about it over the internet, then more people should know about this. Or maybe they should broadcast it on the news or something(or on youtube or something.) That way, people wont get their pictures taken down from... Hold on, let me check something...*goes check something*

Wooooow... I just searched Eskimo on DA... and found a TON of pictures of cartoon Eskimos, characters Eskimo kissing(would this be called Inuit kissing then?) and so on!... I didn't check the dates of these pictures, but maybe they are old picture and DA didn't feel like removing all of them? I don't know... Now I'm even more confused... Regardless of my confusion, the word is still offensive some how... Which I'm starting to think my picture wasn't removed because it said Eskimo, but it was removed because I spelled it wrong... Which is even more ridiculous... So yeah, any thoughts on this?
Posted Image
Members/Chara Data-Base

I'm totes a guy~
Offline Mini Profile

EileanachPosted Image
Member Avatar
. . .
Maybe you should contact dA and ask them why only your picture was removed if there are plenty of other pictures on dA with the word "Eskimo" in them. Because that would start to annoy me too if I saw loads of other pictures but only your one was removed.

I didn't know it meant "eaters of raw flesh" I can see from that stand point that it can be deemed as racist/offensive towards the Inuit people.

I guess we need to remember we live in a time where "political correctness" has gone completely mental and everything is deemed as offensive to someone somewhere.
~Eileanach~
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Ludichaos
Member Avatar
[Outrealm Vagabond]
Oh come on, really now? My word, the PC Patrol is going to be the end of my sanity. *pinches the bridge of his nose*

Well, I guess this is something to keep in mind if I'm talking to the Inuit people... or one of the other 3 tribes that fall under the term "Eskimo". Although honestly most people wouldn't even know the meaning of the word and as such wouldn't be using it in that manner. But whatever, I guess.

As for why your picture was removed, the only thing I can think of in regards to the mispelling may have been that it was misinterpreted as a mix between the words "Eskimo" and "Homo". Which people usually use in a derogatory sense towards Homosexual people.

That or you just had a case of bad luck. ^^;
【One third of Sonic Blast's Legendary Australian Trio. Eccentric, but growing jaded in his old age】
Offline Mini Profile

Ice Lord
Member Avatar
Angel Island Act 2
*snickers* They're a bunch of Eskimos, man. XD

Meh, but in all seriousness, I think figured when something like this would go down since everyone on the face of the Internet gets offended by every little thing known to man. I never one remembered at any point at time the word Eskimo being an offensive word. Even if it actually means "raw flesh eater," my guess is the Inuits took it with pride because they probably couldn't eat any more than they could, which was fish and cooked sea creatures. So, I'm guessing they were assuming that you implied that you somehow referred to or encouraged cannibalism in your drawing, and they done got butthurt, so they took it down because of that.

Don't quote me on the aforementioned, but that's what I think. They took it seriously and they acted too harshly be deleting your work. I can't wait to see what word in the English language will become offensive next; cause that's what I'm going to start calling my friends.

"Yo, Eskimos!"

"Whachu call me?!"

"Oh, shit..."
Is it possible to please one person? Yes.

Is it possible to please 10 people at once? Possibly, but highly unlikely.

Is it possible to please over 7.4 billion human beings at one time? Impossible.

~~~~

Do not attempt to become the world's breadbasket, because it is the equivalent of torture.
Offline Mini Profile

Dr. Prower
Member Avatar
Ice Lord
Feb 8 2011, 09:31 AM
"Yo, Eskimos!"

"Whachu call me?!"

"Oh, shit..."
*Eskimos Ice people brick you*
Posted Image
I ship LinkxEpona
"For the lulz?"
....Okay.

Don't fear the darkness. Embrace it, like you would a fluffy puppy. Embrace the fluffy puppy of darkness!

Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

EileanachPosted Image
Member Avatar
. . .
Ice people brick the Ice Lord - that is such an amusing concept.
~Eileanach~
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Dr. Prower
Member Avatar
Eileanach
Feb 8 2011, 01:06 PM
Ice people brick the Ice Lord - that is such an amusing concept.
Oh lol, I didn't even see that. I know how it'd actually be.

Ice Lord: Yo, Eskimo!
Ice Person: "Heyyyy! What's poppin, my Eskimo!"
Dr. P: "Hi Eskimos!" *gets slapped*
Ice Lord: That's OUR word! You can't use our word!
Posted Image
I ship LinkxEpona
"For the lulz?"
....Okay.

Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

EileanachPosted Image
Member Avatar
. . .
Oh so saying Eskimo is one of those words that can only be used by people of that ethnic origin, the same as saying n-bricked-...
~Eileanach~
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Phoenix-Saturn
No Avatar
i just wwant to be beautiful for this one month
This seems a bit bizarre to me, and I'm starting to think that your picture was removed because you misspelled the word.
i'm actually really sorry bout this
unfashionably late as alwways
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I... Am... THE WEREHOG SUPPORTER! MUHAHAHAHA! *Howl*

Offline Mini Profile

EileanachPosted Image
Member Avatar
. . .
But does dA do that? Like if you misspell a word they take your image/work down? That seems a bit extreme you think they'd correct it and leave it up.
~Eileanach~
Posted Image
Offline Mini Profile

Ice Lord
Member Avatar
Angel Island Act 2
I'm not big on either FA or DA, but I wouldn't think they would delete someone's artwork that they worked hard on (or sometimes not at all) just because a particular word of choice was misspelled. That seems kid of assholish on their part if they did take a measure to that extreme.
Is it possible to please one person? Yes.

Is it possible to please 10 people at once? Possibly, but highly unlikely.

Is it possible to please over 7.4 billion human beings at one time? Impossible.

~~~~

Do not attempt to become the world's breadbasket, because it is the equivalent of torture.
Offline Mini Profile

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Act I: Chit-Chat Hangout · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: